Salt system or Ozonator?

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
skos
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in ground gunite pool and spa about 4 years old with a Hayward DE (Diatomaceous Earth) filter

Salt system or Ozonator?

Postby skos » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 16:07

Salt system or Ozonator?

WHat one is the best and why?

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Salt system or Ozonator?

Postby chem geek » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 18:00

They are different. An ozonator is a supplemental oxidation system so is most useful in commercial/public pools with higher bather load or in spas (including residential spas since they usually have high bather load). It does not produce any residual sanitizer for the bulk pool water so chlorine is still needed. Generally, an ozonator isn't useful nor needed in an outdoor residential pool.

A saltwater chlorine generator system will produce chlorine so is more convenient than having to add chlorine manually. It will also superchlorinate (i.e. shock) a portion of the water flowing through the cell. So if you don't want to have to add chlorine manually to the pool regularly, then a saltwater chlorine generator is the way to go. However, if you have coping/hardscape that is made of soft stone or if you have aluminum or inferior stainless steel in contact with the pool water, then the higher salt levels can lead to more degradation or corrosion.
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Salt system or Ozonator?

Postby lbridges » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 18:04

Both add out year replacement costs.

Salt, when coupled with a SWG, produces chlorine reducing the majority of pool chemicals to the occasional muratic acid add. Probably will not pay for itself in reduced costs unless your time and driving to buy chlorine are factored in. Intangible, but claimed improvement in water quality, but could be had by adding the salt but not the SWG. Salt has a bad lifespan effect on soft and porous stones, and can hurt metal structures (ladders/rails) if the pool is not properly bonded.

Ozone helps kill off some nasties in the water that flows past it, but does nothing for any nasties attached to pool walls, steps, or other nook & cranny (so still have to add chlorine). Anybody who says you can go "chlorine free" is either lying, or misinformed on the scientific basis of pool water sanitation. Will not pay for itself.

Caveat: after investigation, I went to salt this year - so I have no long term evidence to support or deny - the above is based primarily on my investigations.

edit: chem geek beat me to the punch

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”