Stains On Plaster

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
fields
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: gunite pool - clorine - 13,000 gal

Stains On Plaster

Postby fields » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 09:04

I just got my pool re-plastered and in about 3 weeks I'm getting this tan stain on the plaster. Any ideas as to what that could be?

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Stains On Plaster

Postby floridapooltech » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 09:38

fields wrote:I just got my pool re-plastered and in about 3 weeks I'm getting this tan stain on the plaster. Any ideas as to what that could be?

Do you have a heater hooked up to the system? Also, can you post your test results?

pH
TA
CH
CYA
TDS
Metals
FC
CC
Phosphates
Nitrates
fields
I'm new here
I'm new here

Stains On Plaster

Postby fields » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 11:35

No, I don't have a heater hooked-up to the pool. The Phosphates were high last week but everything else was good. The chlorine was low after the pool start-up but that is fine now too. I don't remember what the Calcimine hardness was.

Chlorine 5+
Ph 7.2
Total Alkalinityh 80
Cyanuric Acid 40
Phosphates 300
duraleigh
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 24X52 DIY Concrete and liner

Stains On Plaster

Postby duraleigh » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 11:46

There is a good chance the stain is organic and high levels of chlorine will clear it up.....although it may take a few days. It's a cheap fix, if it works, and easy to do.

Simply elevate your Chlorine to about 8-10ppm and HOLD IT THERE constantly for the next few days. If the stain is organic, it will start to lighten. If it does, hold the chlorine up there until it disappears.

Brushing it often (like once each day) is very helpful, too. Even if it doesn't apperar to be removing it.

If the chlorine has no effect over a few days, post back and we'll try another non-organic approach.
24x52 DIY concrete block and liner
1.5HP pump 925lb sand filter
http://www.tftestkits.net
fields
I'm new here
I'm new here

Stains On Plaster

Postby fields » Fri 27 Aug, 2010 09:57

Thank you, I'll give it a try, then let you know.
Dennis Curatolo florida swimming pool resurfacing

Stains On Plaster

Postby Dennis Curatolo florida swimming pool resurfacing » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 13:40

You can pour muriatic on steps thru the water, The acid is heavier that the water and will find its way down. please be carefull as the acid could splash a drop as your are pouring and possibly get you in the eyes. Wear goggles and hold your breath as well until the little mist of acid clears. If this is iron staining it should go away quickly.
fields
I'm new here
I'm new here

Stains On Plaster

Postby fields » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:48

I did that and the stain did go away. So how do I do the entire surface of the pool with muratic acid? Would Ascorbic acid achieve the same results?

Thanks!
fields
I'm new here
I'm new here

Stains On Plaster

Postby fields » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 10:22

hey duraleigh, i'm still waiting to see what raising my chlorine will do to the stains. i started that on saturday.
duraleigh
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Stains On Plaster

Postby duraleigh » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 10:56

It seems like you may have already moved to the next step. If it's removed by the addition of acid, it's a pretty decent bet it's metal. You didn't say, but I'm assuming you saw no affect from the chlorine.

Yeah, it can be removed by doing an ascorbic acid treatment. I have not done that treatment but there are a lot of folks that have (and an article, I think) over on troublefreepool.com. metal staining is a little more involved but it can certainly be accomplished.
fields
I'm new here
I'm new here

Stains On Plaster

Postby fields » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 21:35

No, I have not moved to the next treatment. I'm giving the chlorine several more days. I started the chlorine on Saturday. How many more days do you think that it should be before I might see if this is going to work?
duraleigh
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Stains On Plaster

Postby duraleigh » Tue 31 Aug, 2010 09:30

Probably, about now. Most organic stains start to lighten from elevated chlorine in the first day and continue to improve slowly.

If it's removed by the addition of acid, it's a pretty decent bet it's metal.
That from my other post is influencing me, too. Organic stains that I am aware of are not affected by the application of acid so I would think it to be metal.

One thing we haven't explored is calcium scale (which is a metal, too!) Are the stains rough at all? Have you contacted your re-plasterer and asked his advice?
fields
I'm new here
I'm new here

Stains On Plaster

Postby fields » Wed 01 Sep, 2010 10:39

Raising the chlorine doesn't seem to be working. The stains are still there and don't seem to be lessening. If it is metal, what can I do about that? I did contact the re-plasterer and their idea was to drain the pool and acid wash it. I would like to avoid that process. The stains are not rough to the touch. Any other ideas?
duraleigh
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Stains On Plaster

Postby duraleigh » Wed 01 Sep, 2010 10:48

Yeah, it can be removed by doing an ascorbic acid treatment. I have not done that treatment but there are a lot of folks that have (and an article, I think) over on troublefreepool.com. metal staining is a little more involved but it can certainly be accomplished.
fields
I'm new here
I'm new here

Stains On Plaster

Postby fields » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 19:21

Ok, I put 12 gallons of muratic in my pool. Let it sit for 24 hours, then brushed it. Stains are gone and my water is clear. Now I just have to get my PH back up. I'm trying to do that with Borax. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your help.

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”