Vaccuming the pool using backwash, or on filter mode?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
juamon
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15000 to 20000 gallons. Vinyl inground. Pentair FNS Plus Vertical Grid D.E. Filter about 2 1/2 to 3 years old. Pump 1.3 hp. Vinyl cover is 4/5 years old.

Postby juamon » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 11:33

I just cleaned my Pentair FNS Plus DE grid filter. I have lots of dead algea on the bottom of my pool. Can I vaccum my pool using the backwash mode? I don't want the dead algea to stay on my filter and dirty it right away, or must I vaccum using the filter mode because I also do not want the algea back in my vinyl pool? I also do not want to cause any damage to my pump or filter system. Thanks. :oops:

duraleigh
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 24X52 DIY Concrete and liner

Postby duraleigh » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 15:39

juamon,

If you have a "waste" position on the valve on your filter, you can divert the water out of your pool. This uses water very quickly, but you may have some success with that.

The "backwash" position only reverses the water flow through your filter so that would be unacceptable.

If you can't deal with all the water you will lose on waste, simply vacuum in the filter position and plan on cleaning the filter often. It's job is to catch the junk coming from the pool so I would let it go to work. :D
24x52 DIY concrete block and liner
1.5HP pump 925lb sand filter
http://www.tftestkits.net
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 17:06

duraleigh wrote:juamon,

If you have a "waste" position on the valve on your filter, you can divert the water out of your pool. This uses water very quickly, but you may have some success with that.

The "backwash" position only reverses the water flow through your filter so that would be unacceptable.

If you can't deal with all the water you will lose on waste, simply vacuum in the filter position and plan on cleaning the filter often. It's job is to catch the junk coming from the pool so I would let it go to work. :D

agreed. The cost of replacing the D.E. after cleaning your filter at about $2 will be far less than replacing the water after the "waste" process which can be 10-20 times that in water/sewage!

Postby Guest » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 10:27

Thanks for the helpful info. :thumbup:

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”