Low suction through de filter

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
jlvaron
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 19,000/ salt water chlorinator/ vinyl/ pentair intelliflo svrs pump/ DE filter

Low suction through de filter

Postby jlvaron » Thu 02 Sep, 2010 09:29

Here's my problem. My DE filter is freshly backwashed and re-charged with new DE. My pump basket is clean, and the pump lid and gasket are clean and tight. I turn on my pump. After it primes and returns to normal running speed, the suction pressure gauge immediately begins to drop to almost nothing . Within an hour, my pump basket is 1/2 full of air, and the water has basically stopped flowing back into the pool. If I bleed the air out of the top of my filter, that doesn't help.

But . . . if I bypass the filter and just recirculate the water, I have no suction problems at all. This indicates to me that it's something in my filter and/or it's connection that's causing this headache.

This is a brand new pool and the system is only 8 months old. I've contacted the pool builder, but they want to charge me to diagnose the problem, so if anyone has any words of advice on something I can check or do myself, I'm all ears.

Thanks, Jerry

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”