Need Help with Pool Chemicals

Problems relating to the Pool Help Forum website and general forum help.
Suggestions and criticisms that would improve your web experience.

Postby www » Fri 03 Sep, 2010 13:09

Recently I have had to take over pool maintenance as my husband has flown the coop, so to speak.

I had severe algae problem, shocked the pool and it died. I got it sucked up and cleaned the pool filter. So the water looks very clean, sides of pool look good, etc.

Now I'm trying to get pool chems in balance.

I show no PH, no chlorine, no CYA, perfect alkalinity. Over the past two weeks I keep upping the chlorine - set auto dial to 4.5 out of 5, and added 3 3" tablets to floater. I use Arm and Hammer pool clarifier tablet once a week. I added a huge amount of PH up and have not had any change in PH reading.

I've read through some of the topics here, but don't understand what my first step should be.

It is a fiberglass inground, small (5000 gal) pool. Like I said the water looks beautiful - very clear and inviting. But all the tests show nothing for chlorine or PH. I've shocked twice in the last two weeks also.

Any help is very much appreciated - hopefully in a step by step format for a newbie.

Thank You

lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Postby lbridges » Fri 03 Sep, 2010 20:27

You don't mention how you are testing. Many people have found the test strips to produce large errors. A really good test kit such as the Taylor 2006 or the TF-100 kit produces the best results.

Meanwhile, is there a local pool store for you to use - they usually will test and report the pool chemistry numbers for free. Just don't buy anything until you post the results.

Two helpful items:

1. Pool School - lots of good reading, such as the article on pool chemicals, and

2. The Pool Calculator - will tell you how much chemicals to add once you know the numbers for your pool. Just remember to change the pool size at the top, and pool type down below (for being fiberglass).

Postby www » Fri 03 Sep, 2010 23:03

OK - I ordered the TF-100 kit. I'll get back with the numbers once I test with the new kit.

Should I try aerating for now to get the PH to come up, since my TA is at about the right level.

Any easy ideas for aerating, that I might be able to accomplish?

Thanks
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 02:01

www wrote:OK - I ordered the TF-100 kit. I'll get back with the numbers once I test with the new kit.

Should I try aerating for now to get the PH to come up, since my TA is at about the right level.

Any easy ideas for aerating, that I might be able to accomplish?

Thanks

Usually when TA is good, the pH is fairly close too, so putting more increaser in your pool is not wise at the moment. Unless your pool is extremely hot on the surface, aerating is not necessary and is usually only done in competitive pools to keep the temperature within regulation. Using your new test kit, please post the numbers.

FC
CC
CYA
pH
TA

By the way...regarding your "zero" test readings...how much chlorine have you added, (qty. of tabs dissolved, how many gallons is your pool, how much shock and liquid chlorine have you put in the last week) we should be able to figure out your issues based on these. Thanks!
Florida Pool Tech is a Florida certified service company headquartered in Tampa, Florida employing the best technicians and installers in the industry! Vist us at http://www.floridapooltech.com

Specializing in pool service and pool repair

Postby www » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 14:24

OK - Why I'm waiting for the test kit to come in. I took a sample down to the local pool store.

Here's what they gave me:

5000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool, heater running occasionally

TA - 40
PH - yellow
CYA - 100
FC - 0.5
Calcium - 130
TDS or TOS ?? - 500

She told me the CYA was way too high too swim and that I should pull all 3" tablets out of the pool.
Add 8 pounds of Sodium Bicarbonate.
Use liquid chlorine to get the FC to the right level.
Add 8 pounds of Calcium hardness.

Of course - tried to sell me alot of items. I didn't buy anything as I'd like to hear recommendations. She said pool was unsafe to swim in.

Any help appreciated.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 14:34

www wrote:OK - Why I'm waiting for the test kit to come in. I took a sample down to the local pool store.

Here's what they gave me:

5000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool, heater running occasionally

TA - 40
PH - yellow
CYA - 100
FC - 0.5
Calcium - 130
TDS or TOS ?? - 500

She told me the CYA was way too high too swim and that I should pull all 3" tablets out of the pool.
Add 8 pounds of Sodium Bicarbonate.
Use liquid chlorine to get the FC to the right level.
Add 8 pounds of Calcium hardness.

Of course - tried to sell me alot of items. I didn't buy anything as I'd like to hear recommendations. She said pool was unsafe to swim in.

Any help appreciated.

well, with a pH reading of yellow, of course it's unsafe to swim in! (what is yellow) ok...enough humor...

TA - 40 (should be 80-120, add 56 oz. of ordinary baking soda should fix this)
PH - yellow (if we only knew what the "unsafe" value of yellow was, we would be able to help with this too) ask for the number, if you can
CYA - 100 (it is ok for now, yes, you should quit using tabs or dychlor for awhile until this goes down. liquid chlorine it is for a few weeks or months)
FC - 0.5 (1/2 of a chlorine jug should fix this and compensate for the CYA level)
Calcium - 130 (1697 oz calcium chloride)
TDS or TOS ?? - 500 (ok)

hopefully this is all you will need to fix the issues for now.
Florida Pool Tech is a Florida certified service company headquartered in Tampa, Florida employing the best technicians and installers in the industry! Vist us at http://www.floridapooltech.com

lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Postby lbridges » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 14:36

It does seem like the pool is seriously out of adjustment.

I would tackle pH and Chlorine first - but pH=Yellow doesn't mean much to me - there should be a number that goes with that.

At any rate, use the link I gave you for the Pool Calculator. It will tell you how much of each thing - then the Pool School will provide simple and ultimately cheaper sources for the chemicals. For example: Things like sodium bicarbonate is simply baking soda - pick it up at walmart (or wherever you shop) & save $$$.

A gallon on 6% unscented bleach should get you to a safe number. But with CYA at 100 it will be critical to get the test kit in since that's the only good way to measure the free chlorine level you will need to maintain. Don't panic as high CYA actually makes it a little easier to maintain once established. If you continue to use the tabs the CYA will continue to climb.

edit, too slow to post, seems like mostly the same advice
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 14:37

correction...IGNORE calcium hardness additions as you have a fiberglass pool. My apologies!

Postby www » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 15:07

OK - So the pool gal was a little overly dramatic?

Can the six year old swim today? Does it have special medicinal qualities at this point that I should advertise to the neighbors?

Sorry for the humor, I just got done reading about the trash bag method (from Texas) of replacing pool water. And they say us Californiains are weird...

So I will - buy the Baking Soda, and put it in.
Take out 3" tablets for awhile.
Run the pool slide all day with lots of splashing out of water (bring over 10 six year olds!)
Pour in half gallon of liquid unscented bleach.
Add that calcium stuff - where do I get that - pool store only?

I really appreciate the help. I'm pool clueless. Starting to look at the BBB method posted on site.

Postby www » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 15:09

Oh and my little OTH kit says PH of 6.4 or so. Still yellow - Hep A.

Return to “Problems & Suggestions for this Forum”