Ok, now replacing motor pump seal questions

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
benraymond

Postby benraymond » Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:47

Ok, so we burned out my pool motor by running it dry....

From what I read, it is "highly suggested I replace the pump seal. The pump seal is based on the type of system I have, Anthony pools. Little confused about this - how do I get the correct one?

Is there "better quality," seals that I should get?

In terms of replacing the motor, I found out that the replacement motor is an AO Smith QC 1072, a 48Y frame motor (although the web site directed me to a 1/2 HP motor, the original was a 3/4 HP, so I'm sticking with that. AMPs on the new motor are higher = more powerful, right?)

Pool shop of course doesn't have a motor in stock, so I'm ordering online.
Fairly handy with electrical, so I'm not worried about the wiring.

Questions:
Should I replace the impeller? If so, where do I get a new one?
Do I need to replace the gasket? If so where do I get a new one?

Any/all replys greatly appreciated,
Ben

Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

Postby Pool Clown » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 02:03

Does your motor make noise when you turn it on? Usually, running the pump dry won't burn out the motor (unless the seal is leaking, and you continue to run it for an extended length of time).

You may, or may not need a new impeller. It depends on how long it ran dry. You might be able to tell just by disassembly, if it wobbles on the shaft, signs of being melted, etc. Once you get it all taken apart, and the motor shaft isn't connected, run the motor to see if it makes any noise.

Good Luck.
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 14:58

benraymond wrote:Ok, so we burned out my pool motor by running it dry....

From what I read, it is "highly suggested I replace the pump seal. The pump seal is based on the type of system I have, Anthony pools. Little confused about this - how do I get the correct one?

Is there "better quality," seals that I should get?

In terms of replacing the motor, I found out that the replacement motor is an AO Smith QC 1072, a 48Y frame motor (although the web site directed me to a 1/2 HP motor, the original was a 3/4 HP, so I'm sticking with that. AMPs on the new motor are higher = more powerful, right?)

Pool shop of course doesn't have a motor in stock, so I'm ordering online.
Fairly handy with electrical, so I'm not worried about the wiring.

Questions:
Should I replace the impeller? If so, where do I get a new one?
Do I need to replace the gasket? If so where do I get a new one?

Any/all replys greatly appreciated,
Ben

Usually, if the pump was run dry long enough to melt parts, it won't stop at the impeller...the diffuser, o-rings, all may need to be replaced. You should completely take it apart and inspect the seals, diffuser, impeller, seal plate, mount plate, just about all of it. Anytime you replace a motor, it is also a good ideal to replace all the gasket's and o-rings for that pump. When you purchase the "Go-Kit", they come with all o-rings, gaskets and the motor shaft seal. You can find everything HERE

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”