Pool Blanket Fun

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Pool Blanket Fun

Postby ThePoolSchoolFan » Tue 21 Sep, 2010 16:11

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I will give my readings here

Pool gallons: 18,500
Pool Type: Plaster White
FC: 10+ ? (1 qt 25 fl oz of Sodium Hypochlorite 12% + 2 packets of Calcium Hypochlorite)
CC - Was A Lot
CH: In range
Phophates: 1000 ppb (will get to this)
TA: 100
CYA: 100 (above 90..bit high?)
pH: Not sure (but yesterday was 8.0+ (due to the liquid bleach) and probably much lower due to Granule packet shock....also added in muriatic acid - 24 fl Oz to bring it to 7.2....it's probably bordering on 7.2 now - will test later).

In any case, I'm use to keeping a pool clean for my folks. I've been doing it for 2 years now...but the fact is....I've gotten lazy. They bought a solar blanket cover (for these past summer heatwaves -living in an arid area) and I frankly stopped testing the water every day as recommended during summer by all you nice folks here.

Pool = Swamp green when the blanket was removed. Yay! So I basically have to be honest in saying I just put a crapload of chlorine and it made the pool beautiful last weekend. I then left the blanket on again this week...and Sunday Afternoon - Swamp Pool! :) Yay. In any case...I tested my water thoroughly...told myself no more crap. And balanced my pH......probably lowered my TA from 100, to 90? 85ish due to pH.

Now the water is finally a blue color....I can see the bottom of the pool...it's a bit foamy right now....and cloudy. (Been like this since yesterday but got clearer). The pool people at the store told me to get rid of my high phosphate levels -----so I got PhosFree. Have not used it yet because I have some questions.....and any other advice you can all give me will be great....maybe I've been wrong in anything I've said so far.

1.Do I need to 'Air' out the pool when the blanket is on everyday?
2. I usually only run my pump on the day we swim...should I be running this everyday for like an hour or so? I read somewhere it should be everyday....I don't do this to save on electricity...but I find I spend an equal amount of money on chemicals either way? Lol.
3. Should I CLEAN out the filter which I cleaned just a month ago? The pool store people said to clean it out or the algae will come right back in the pool - a never ending cycle....but last I checked....if I do this - it'll just come back from spores in the air either way (and it's pretty darn windy here!)
4. I am guessing I will HAVE to clean out the filter if I want to REMOVE the phosphates from the pool with phosFree?
5. Why does a solar blanket make algae bloom INCREDIBLY fast. Usually I can leave the pool for a week without it becoming DARK DARK green....then again, I notice the chlorine LASTS longer too....

Any help would be appreciated on those 5 questions. :wave:

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”