Blue film on ladder rungs

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
bnairb
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 18x36 inground, vinyl, Hayward super pump, Hayward sand filter using zeolite

Postby bnairb » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 11:26

When closing the pool for the winter yesterday :( I noticed the ladder rungs (white plastic) had a blue film on every rung that was below the water line. About a week ago I had put in a heavy dose of Easy Chlor Algeacide Plus since I had stopped chorinating in prep for closing.I checked and the algeacide is not copper based. I'm wondering what might have caused it and if there's any metal tests or anything I can do. My pool is about 24000 gal. vinly liner (couldn't be the blue off the liner could it? It's rather faded and in need of replacement in the next year or so).

My concern is that if it is copper, is it in the water supply or is it leaching from the pool heater coils? Obviously I'm shutting down for the season, so prob not much I can do now, but I'd like to know where to start looking and save my pool heater if that is the case.

Any ideas where to start?

duraleigh
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 24X52 DIY Concrete and liner

Postby duraleigh » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 11:51

Has your pH been down low for a while? That could indicate metals precipitating out. If you have managed your pH carefully, I doubt that it is metals but am a little lost as to what it is. Got a pic?
24x52 DIY concrete block and liner
1.5HP pump 925lb sand filter
http://www.tftestkits.net
bnairb
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 18x36 inground, vinyl, Hayward super pump, Hayward sand filter using zeolite

Postby bnairb » Wed 29 Sep, 2010 17:39

ph has been about 7.4, 7.5. I'll attach a picture of the ladder. Had to get the pool covered as leaves are falling, so I don't think there's much I can do this year. Is there any test I should do in the spring to see what it might be?
Attachments
P1050441comp.jpg
P1050441comp.jpg (30.28 KiB) Viewed 7471 times
James Watson

Postby James Watson » Wed 29 Sep, 2010 18:20

It is probably from copper. If it is not from algaecide, then it is probably from the heater.

Did you use E Z Chlor Algaecide Plus or the E Z Chlor Mustard Algaecide Plus?
James Watson

Postby James Watson » Wed 29 Sep, 2010 18:25

What do you use for chlorine and how do you add it? Are you putting tabs in the skimmer? What are your chemical levels?

pH
Total Alkalinity
Calcium
Cyanuric acid
James Watson

Postby James Watson » Thu 30 Sep, 2010 00:12

What did the algaecide look like? Poly 60 algaecide looks kind of like honey in color and thickness. Copper algaecide is a dark blue liquid.
bnairb
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby bnairb » Tue 05 Oct, 2010 06:54

It was Ez Chlor Agaecide plus, which says it is not copper based. I've been pretty consistent in maintaining my levels all year. Ph about 7.2-7.5, Alk about 90-110, calcium i want to say 250 (i usually have to add calcium in the spring), I tested CYA once this year and it was ok. I use EZ Chlor big tabs in an autofeeder for sanitizer. The incoming water is run through the softener 1st to help remove iron etc from the well water. I know softened water can leach more copper from water lines than unsoftened so I suppose that is possibly the problem. I did notice since I 1st posted that my dogs water bowl in the house also has a blue hue around the inside. If softened water and copper are the culprits, do I just treat with a metal out product throughout the year to avoid this? Like I said previously, my pool stores closing kit contained Natural Chemistry's metal out product so I put that in. Anyone know if that is a good one? Is there a test available to test for metal levels?
instantpools.ca
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: We a Toronto and Vaughan based Pool company specializing in service. Our fair prices and professionalism has kept many of our customers with us for over 20 years!

Postby instantpools.ca » Fri 07 Jan, 2011 14:19

Yes there is a test for metals and your local pool store should be able to test it for you. If you prefer you can order test kits from the internet and products such as sequestering agents to remove the metals and eventually the stains. One of my new customers pools had an attached spa that suffered the same symptoms, and with a number of doses and regular addition of a "Stain and Scale Preventative"(Sequestering agent) the blue-hue was nearly gone when I closed the pool .

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”