Closing problem

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
KY Leaky Pool

Closing problem

Postby KY Leaky Pool » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 13:49

Sorry if already discussed, but I am a 1st time closer of 18 x 32 inground pool. I have been opening every year for past three as costs to bring somebody out is just out of my range now.
Long story short is I researched and thought I did everything right including hooking up my 16 gallon/6HP shop vac to blower mode and blowing out shallow end skimmer basket port. When this happen as expected I received some water from lines coming out of deep end skimmer. I had drained water below skimmers and plugged each jet. I also removed all my drain plugs at the heater, pump, frogger system, and sand filter. I emptyed out the water from basket at pump, turned each line to off position (main drain,skimmer, and vaccum) and thought I was in good shape. Shut off shop vac, added some anti freeze to lines and added my freeze jug plug things with plummer tape. Now for past 4 days I have been getting a trickle but steady stream of water coming out of one unplugged opening at bottom of frogger system by return line. Water line has dropped some and I can not figure out how water is leaving pool, some drainage in line would make sense to me, but if anyone could tell me what I messed up I sure would appreciate it as I really can not spend the money right now to call someone and don't want to damage my lines which is worst thing possible. Thanks for any help- Rob

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Closing problem

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 28 Sep, 2010 02:10

KY Leaky Pool wrote:Sorry if already discussed, but I am a 1st time closer of 18 x 32 inground pool. I have been opening every year for past three as costs to bring somebody out is just out of my range now.
Long story short is I researched and thought I did everything right including hooking up my 16 gallon/6HP shop vac to blower mode and blowing out shallow end skimmer basket port. When this happen as expected I received some water from lines coming out of deep end skimmer. I had drained water below skimmers and plugged each jet. I also removed all my drain plugs at the heater, pump, frogger system, and sand filter. I emptyed out the water from basket at pump, turned each line to off position (main drain,skimmer, and vaccum) and thought I was in good shape. Shut off shop vac, added some anti freeze to lines and added my freeze jug plug things with plummer tape. Now for past 4 days I have been getting a trickle but steady stream of water coming out of one unplugged opening at bottom of frogger system by return line. Water line has dropped some and I can not figure out how water is leaving pool, some drainage in line would make sense to me, but if anyone could tell me what I messed up I sure would appreciate it as I really can not spend the money right now to call someone and don't want to damage my lines which is worst thing possible. Thanks for any help- Rob

It could be coming up from your main drain as sometimes they are connected to the skimmer, which could also explain a water level drop. Only strange thing is, this would require some syphoning or a pressure change.

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”