swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
jagboy69
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: planning stage

Armor Pools anyone?

Postby jagboy69 » Mon 18 Oct, 2010 16:57

Alright, I'm glad to have found you guys. I'm also about to go down the road of installing a pool. Does anyone have any experience with armorpools??? The process looks very DIY friendly. I spoke with the owner of the company, says the material when built to spec is 1/4inch thick. Rough estimate for a 20x40ft pool around 3grand! Seems cheap to me. I'm open to suggestions, just not open to my boring local pool contractor that quoted me 40k for a boring kidney concrete pool.. And that was a price with no deck!

thanks for the help..
Jason

dalehileman
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 15 x 40 ft inground fiberglass

Armor Pools anyone?

Postby dalehileman » Tue 19 Oct, 2010 11:27

Because it's necessary to replace water after a few years you might inquire about the strength of their wall especially if you live in an area of soft soil
jagboy69
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Armor Pools anyone?

Postby jagboy69 » Tue 19 Oct, 2010 17:16

Thanks for the reply....
They tell you once built, you can even backfill WITHOUT water being in the pool. Supposedly, they are that strong. Don't ever try that one with a bought fiberglass pool.

I got some samples in the mail today, looks like some serious stuff. Any one else know anything about these guys?
dalehileman
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 15 x 40 ft inground fiberglass

Armor Pools anyone?

Postby dalehileman » Wed 20 Oct, 2010 12:24

So I have been advised, Jag. However here in the Mojave Desert where the ground is dry and compact I'd take the chance depending on other pertinent factors

What does the armor sample look like it's made of and how does its cost compare with fiberglass
jagboy69
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Armor Pools anyone?

Postby jagboy69 » Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:59

They sent me two samples. One piece is about 3/8" inch thick and is a 4 layer weave. No WAY could I even think about breaking this piece. The other sample is 2layer stitch mat. I could break this one with my hands. According to one of the techs I talked to there, he said in the past they had 3 or 4 layers, but found out 2 layer was enough. :? The cost is somewhere between 6.50-10bucks a foot for this stuff. It works out to be about half the cost of a premade glass pool. The other thing I think I like about it..... No GEL COAT and no polyester. As we boat owners know, nothing sticks to gel and poly is also a pain. I like the idea of this stuff just because I have an awkward backyard and the sky is the limit with design.
jason
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Armor Pools anyone?

Postby floridapooltech » Fri 22 Oct, 2010 21:23

jagboy69 wrote:They sent me two samples. One piece is about 3/8" inch thick and is a 4 layer weave. No WAY could I even think about breaking this piece. The other sample is 2layer stitch mat. I could break this one with my hands. According to one of the techs I talked to there, he said in the past they had 3 or 4 layers, but found out 2 layer was enough. :? The cost is somewhere between 6.50-10bucks a foot for this stuff. It works out to be about half the cost of a premade glass pool. The other thing I think I like about it..... No GEL COAT and no polyester. As we boat owners know, nothing sticks to gel and poly is also a pain. I like the idea of this stuff just because I have an awkward backyard and the sky is the limit with design.
jason

I can't believe you're being quoted $40k for a basic kidney swimming pool, especially in this economy. In Florida, we have contractors building custom pools for half that, including equipment packages!!!
Florida Pool Tech is a Florida certified service company headquartered in Tampa, Florida employing the best technicians and installers in the industry! Vist us at http://www.floridapooltech.com

Specializing in pool service and pool repair
jagboy69
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Armor Pools anyone?

Postby jagboy69 » Fri 22 Oct, 2010 21:56

Yeah no kidding.. 40K for a gunite 28ft long kidney with NOTHING extra. Just a cartridge filter and a pump. That price was for NO DECK, no spa, no cleaner, no in floor cleaner, no electr/water hookup, not even a pool brush came with it. I showed that contractor the door and quickly. His local competitor wasn't much better either!

Now you all can see why I am contemplating a DIY job with newlanders stuff. Here is my inspiration photo.
I found on liquiscape.com Bruce does really nice stuff.

Now I WOULD pay 40K for this if I could keep my hands clean!

Armor Pools anyone?

Postby Guest » Fri 27 Jan, 2012 07:47

This armor guard pool system leaves me with lots of questions. First has anyone seen these pools built in a populated area with strict building codes. I have built a lot of pools through the years and can not imagine using this system wait about 10 years and see how many failures, these guys have. I've talked with many fiberglass pool manufactures they all agree. Buyer beware. Love to hear from anyone who has used this new build system.

Armor Pools anyone?

Postby Guest » Fri 27 Jan, 2012 08:23

Has anyone else seen the similarity to the aquaguard 5000 product line.all my research shows that Aquatic Technologies has been around long before oceanering research.it looks like they copy and pasted their product description and put there product name on it. Has anyone done business with either company.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”