New House, New Pool, Lots of problems & questions!

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.

Postby Guest » Tue 02 Nov, 2010 16:31

Hi All,

I have recently bought a new house in staffordshire (UK), which has a 12ft wide by 24ft long oval swimming pool. The pool have a vinyl liner (full of holes and repair patches) & a concrete surround.
There is a small rotten shed, near to the pool, which houses a pump and a atika filter.

The pool is currently mostly empty, with about 6inch of water in the deep end, and full of leaves and junk.

I have had a quick look around the liner, and some of the repairs look like they are still leaking, and really in need of a new liner. I gave part of the liner a brush to remove some leaves but that pulled a couple of old repair patches off at the same time, which were on the floor under the leaves

My questions are, what should I do, as we are approaching winter, and have been told that you should never leave a pool empty. But im worried about the liner leaking if i filled it and causing problems, and also the water freezing in the pipes etc, as i did lift up one of the 'waste' parts which is ground level and full of water

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

sydneysbestpool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby sydneysbestpool » Tue 07 Dec, 2010 01:49

Yikes, if you were in Australia id suggest visiting sydneys best pool service.
dalehileman
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 15 x 40 ft inground fiberglass

Postby dalehileman » Tue 07 Dec, 2010 11:57

Judging from recent reactions in nearby threads you might wish instead to fill it with dirt then plant tomatoes
accupool727/

Postby accupool727/ » Wed 09 Feb, 2011 00:23

I hear you man. I am an Owner of a swimming pool business here in Florida. You definity need to look into a new liner for that pool. If you fill it now its gonna leak with all those patchs. If u dont have the money to re line you need to fill it with water and either call a leak expert to patch any leaks or do it urself which can be complicated. U need vinyll patchs from your local pool store. Then the fun part is finding the leaks. The pool needs to be filled. Get all that debris out before u fill it and clean with disinfectant. Look around for visable holes to patch or re do the old ones. Then fill with water. Then u need to look for little bubbles while swimming with goggles and inspect the pool an patch away. I recomend calling a leak expert kuz he has all the tools to finding them as far as listening for the leaks. Buy a new liner from a expert. That will solve your problems! Hope i helped an good luck! Accu-Pools of Florida.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”