How to get Salt out of the water?

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
Mike_Snoo
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

How to get Salt out of the water?

Postby Mike_Snoo » Sat 12 Sep, 2020 07:43

Hi,

I got my pool resurfaced. The resurfing company accidentaly dumped Salt in the pool currently at 2000 ppm. I had a sal cell installed, but it wasn´t working. I dissasambled the salt cell and used a DC power supply to power it up. I see that O2 is generated and also after a few days I see some white coating on the metal plates. I guess that is the generated chlorine.

However, I do that since a couple of month and my slat level is not going down.

Is there any other way to get salt out of the water? Or do I have to replace the pool water?

If I replace the pool water with fresh water, is there anything else I should do while the pool is empty?

Mike

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: How to get Salt out of the water?

Postby Teapot » Sat 12 Sep, 2020 09:08

Hi Mike,
The cell will generate (convert) the salt into hydrogen gas and chlorine gas. The white coating is more than likely calcium (what is your water total hardness level and alkalinity) The salt can stay in the water, other than that reverse osmosis will remove it if you have a mobile service near you but best just leave it. Splash out, winterising etc will reduce it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 12 Sep, 2020 17:01

As Teapot says salt stays in the water but is there enough as most require more than 2000 to operate your SWCG
Mike_Snoo
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Mike_Snoo » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 18:32

Alright, so I disassembled the salt cell and took out the 3 plates with the electrical connectors. There is definitely some electrolysis going on. I will keep it for a few weeks and see if I can lower the salt even under 2000 ppm.
Attachments
salt.jpg
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 24 Sep, 2020 01:57

Mike_Snoo wrote:Alright, so I disassembled the salt cell and took out the 3 plates with the electrical connectors. There is definitely some electrolysis going on. I will keep it for a few weeks and see if I can lower the salt even under 2000 ppm.

Why do you want to lower your salt when you have a SWCG as most need more than 2000
The only way to lower salt is to do a partial drain and refill, splashout and backwashing
Mike_Snoo
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Mike_Snoo » Thu 24 Sep, 2020 10:07

Because I don't have a salt pool anymore. Here is how the salt came in my pool: I got the pool resurfaced and had a not working salt cell installed. I switched the pool to a chlorine pool. Now a few weeks ago I installed the DEL AOP 25 UV Ozone generator. I don't need the salt in the water and I heard that salt is aggressive ( I can confirm it when driving a car in the winter up north ) and is making the water less clear.

I want to avoid dumping 11500gal water just to get rid of the salt.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 24 Sep, 2020 12:26

Mike_Snoo wrote:Because I don't have a salt pool anymore. Here is how the salt came in my pool: I got the pool resurfaced and had a not working salt cell installed. I switched the pool to a chlorine pool. Now a few weeks ago I installed the DEL AOP 25 UV Ozone generator. I don't need the salt in the water and I heard that salt is aggressive ( I can confirm it when driving a car in the winter up north ) and is making the water less clear.

I want to avoid dumping 11500gal water just to get rid of the salt.

I wouldn't panic about the salt being aggressive as it's well below the amount on the roads and sea water
In fact many people have a SWCG with salt at a much higher level and the preferred way of chlorination is with sodium hypochlorite (plain bleach) which has salt in it and not stabilised chlorine (CYA)
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 24 Sep, 2020 12:55

Hi Mike, You are not removing any salt, you are just generating hydrogen, oxygen and a bit of chlorine gas. You'll be there for years! just let nature take it's course, with splash out, winterising and top up's you'll do far better than spending on electricity.
The ozone you will produce is way more corrosive and has a liking for ABS plastics.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”