copper ionizer pool advice please

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
bloodog
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 50,000 litre pool copper ionizer sand filter, solid render, Aquabuddy Outdoor Bubble Blanket, ocean side 30 years old

Re: copper ionizer pool advice please

Postby bloodog » Fri 13 Nov, 2020 01:30

Advantages Of Copper & Silver Ionizers - Silver can kill bacteria as identified in the WHO article above, and has been used as a method of water purification for centuries. Copper is a widely used algicide in the swimming pool industry already and highly effective at controlling algae growth in water. If you are able to keep your copper levels at 0.2 to 0.4 this is ideal for helping to control algae with only minimal risk for staining in the pool. When levels reach 0.5 and up to 1.0 parts per million or more then staining is a much more likely concern. Copper and silver in pool water do not have and taste or smell that swimmers will notice, and ionizers operate with very little maintenance requirements other than periodically replacing the electrodes when they wear out.

When used in combination with low levels of chlorine an ionizer will help reduce the amount of chlorine that you use in your pool as well as directly killing algae. Close monitoring of your copper levels is required to prevent staining but if you want a pool chemical and filtration system that uses the least possible chemical sanitizer then an ionizer is one of the systems that can benefit you. Ionizers used along with salt water chlorinators are specifically a good pairing since the salt system provides chlorine but tends to allow the pH in the pool to go too high. Silver is effective at sanitizing at higher pH levels like you often see in salt water chlorine pools so this helps improve the level of protection where one system is lacking since chlorine is least effective at these higher pH levels. Ionizers can also be used with ozone or UV systems to further reduce chlorine usage in the pool...but not eliminate it completely.

'Don't count The Days, Make The Days Count!
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Fri 13 Nov, 2020 06:13

I understand you are hurting because of the spending, but you could do as I did and sell it someone else who believes it's a really great idea. If you had a plastic or vinyl pool it would not be so bad but in yours you are just putting off the inevitable (staining) 1000 buys a lot of clorine! and by the time you replace the electrodes a lot more chlorine.
Put simply yes the system works to kill some bacteria but very slowly, if the pool is used only a little then there is time for any pathogens to be killed hopefully but the issue is staining. you maintain copper at 0.2-0.4 it's not enough as the bacteria in your body (where most transmission come from) have been subjected to a higher concentration of copper in the gut of the human so they will be immune to lower levels advocated in your post. it is active ionised copper but the residual copper will build up as it did in my pool to 4.5ppm.
You should take some time to read through the following thread in which Chem Geek makes it very plain why this is not as good as chlorine.
It is way more important to have the best filtration (Dr Drydens Activate glass media) than add on gadets.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8052
bloodog
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 50,000 litre pool copper ionizer sand filter, solid render, Aquabuddy Outdoor Bubble Blanket, ocean side 30 years old

Postby bloodog » Sat 14 Nov, 2020 05:05

Pool ionizer is only to be used WITH chlorine
What is the big deal, for the better water quality
It's a great choice
'Don't count The Days, Make The Days Count!

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”