Green/brownish layer bottom of pool

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
fhorta
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Re: Green/brownish layer bottom of pool

Postby fhorta » Thu 26 May, 2022 22:52

Well, couple days, same situation. No change. When backwash, green stuff comes out, but day after day, no change. Can't see the floor clearly and that layer of stuff still there very visible when brush. Last couple nights, not losing any chlorine really. Go to bed at 12ppm or slightly over, and wake up pretty much the same. I think I will just have to drain it and start over. Will 3/4 of the way do, or should I do complete drain?. I will be using submersible pump

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 26 May, 2022 23:16

Ok back to basics, if you still have green stuff thats living algae. You need to kill it. If you are shocking the pool with enough chlorine the green and I mean all of it should turn the water blue/grey and cloudy. From your post you still have green you haven't shocked it properly SLAM if you prefer. Back to adding enough chlorine to turn the pool blue/grey and cloudy only then will you progress to a healthy clear pool.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
fhorta
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby fhorta » Fri 27 May, 2022 00:11

Yes, water it's blue, and been all this time blue, Grey, some cloudy. But hasn't changed from that. Been keeping at 12ppm chlorine for several days now, pump going 24/7. No change to visibility.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 27 May, 2022 00:31

Then why do you keep posting that green is evident??
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
fhorta
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby fhorta » Fri 27 May, 2022 08:56

The green/brown layer im referring to is on bottom of pool . It is not visible until i brush, and green coming out is when i bacwash. The water itself in pool is , I would say 60, 70 % clear, not crystal like it usually is. The pool surface paint is blue, royal blue, so water looks blue. I will try post a picture
fhorta
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby fhorta » Fri 27 May, 2022 08:57

And of course, when I brush, all that stuff on bottom makes clouding water until it settles
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 27 May, 2022 11:10

So it seems that you are just stirring up that dead algae and it isn't filtering well
You may be pumping to much and forcing the crap through the filter, slower filtration is better
All I can say is keep vacuuming as slow as possible and continue backwashing
fhorta
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby fhorta » Fri 27 May, 2022 18:54

Ok, thanks
fhorta
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby fhorta » Sat 28 May, 2022 11:03

so, noticed cya has gone up to about between 40 and 50. Never can tell on cya. Is the dot supposed to completely disappear, or we just look to when dot starts fading away and ALMOST disappears? At any rate, I increased slamming to 20 ppm, maybe 21 last night , and this morning was at 20. I had heard though that anything past 12 is a waste?? The water clarity seems ; I don't know, maybe little improvement. Hard to tell. Wondering if I should go ahead and vacuum, or wait until water is crystal clear first?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 28 May, 2022 12:00

According to the Chlorine / CYA chart a CYA 0f 40/50 requires 16 / 20. So you are about right
If you was slamming at 12 with your CYA then that would be a waste of time as it isn't enough
So long as you can see the bottom with debris then a slow vacuum will get rid of a lot. Remembering to backwash when the pressure rises 20/25%
fhorta
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby fhorta » Wed 01 Jun, 2022 09:14

Ok, water clarity just around 98% of desired goal. Stuff on bottom nearly invisible now. When i brush this morning, can't see that cloud anymore. Been slamming at 20 overnight. As of this morning, lost about 3 ppm overnight. Should probably keep slamming, right? The filter pressure slightly over 10 psi. 9 psi is when clean. Been at around 10 for last two days. I do have a cotton towel in skimmer basket. When I wash it, pretty green, but less and less more recently.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 01 Jun, 2022 10:19

It seems you are getting there, perseverance is the clue. SLAM is Shock Level And Maintain
Yes continue slamming, no need to backwash yet as a slightly dirty filter helps filtration
It's perectly safe to swim up to shock level
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 01 Jun, 2022 14:17

Thats good news, well done.
fhorta
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby fhorta » Fri 03 Jun, 2022 12:30

Ok, so last night chlorine at 20 ppm. This morning at17 ppm. Pool looking crystal clear , like mirror. I use liquid chlorine. Is it normal to lose 3 ppm overnight, with no sun? I have kept chlorine tabs out so as to not increase cya and need for more chlorine to shock.....right now cya is around beyween 35-45. Again, can never tell, don't know if black dot needs to completely disappear or just start to fade away.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 03 Jun, 2022 16:34

Keep at it until the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is down to 1
Keep using liquid chlorine until you need to raise CYA
The black dot should disappear

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”