Another question on vacuuming.

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
Lussac
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10m X 5m. LIner in steel casing. Astralpool Cantabric sand filter and Astralpool pump.

Postby Lussac » Wed 27 Apr, 2011 11:53

I have just changed my pump/filter from a cartridge type filter to a sand filter (Astralpool Cantabric 600). On the previous system the water was drawn from the skimmer through the filter by the pump. In the new system the water is drawn from the skimmer by the pump and then pumped through the filter so the two systems are effectively skimmer-filter-pump-return and now skimmer-pump-filter-return. My question is that in the previous system no garbage reached the pump because it was caught by the filter first and now the garbage hits the pump first. On the first cleaning today the pumped got totally blocked with debris from the bottom of the pool (unfortunately the pool had to be left uncovered during the winter when we were not here so a lot of decomposed leaves and insects had built up on the bottom). I guess the question I'm asking is if this is normal to have the pump before the filter, if so, I guess I'm going to have to check the pump more often and clean out the basket whereas before it wasn't a concern as everything was trapped by the cartridge filter.

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Wed 27 Apr, 2011 22:24

In most properly installed systems water from the pool is pushed by pump through the filter media, regardless of the type. Pressure measured is always the backpressure created by the filter.
If it was drawn as you described through the cartridge, every time the filter got clogged with leaves and debris, the pump would not get sufficient priming and the seals would burn up resulting in costly repair.
Pump impeller is also always protected by a basket strainer, that needs to be emptied routinely.
Lussac
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10m X 5m. LIner in steel casing. Astralpool Cantabric sand filter and Astralpool pump.

Postby Lussac » Thu 28 Apr, 2011 01:17

Hello czechmate,

Yes, that was indeed the case that the pump did eventually fail which was the main reason for replacing the filter at the same time as the pump. I'll change my cleaning routine now to remove what I can from the pool before vacuuming and keep an eye on the basket in the pump and clean that out regularly too.

Thanks for the reply.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”