Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
Jimbot
I'm new here
I'm new here

Air leaks and basic science!

Postby Jimbot » Mon 01 Jun, 2020 07:21

Hi, perhaps you can help a relative newcomer with an air leak problem?
Here is some information before I start the questions!
The pool is in ground, with the filter/pump etc above ground. There are 3 outlets from the pool to the pump (sump,skimmer and vacuum port) , and 3 jets back into the pool. The 3 inlets run through individual on/off valves into a manifold with one exit into the pump. From the pump via a mpv and into the filter with side inlets and outlets ( there is a screw down lid on the filter to change the sand).
The problem is air in the pump.
I should state there are no apparent leaks and the water level isn't dropping.
My schoolboy science tells me , and please correct me if I am wrong, that simply put all water pre pump is negative atm pressure, everything after is positive. So any issues with air getting into the pump must be pre pump, ie pipes joints or valves, and because the water pressure is lower in the pipes than atmospheric pressure air will be drawn in and not water coming out? My conclusion would be that the problem would be somewhere in the piping above the water level of the pool ( because I am not losing water ,even when the pump is off) on the way to the pump.
A more experienced pool guy has suggested to me that ,in fact, leaks in any pipework or units after the pump can result in air in the pump, but this seems counterintuitive to me?
Does anyone have any comments?
Many thanks Jim

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Air leaks and basic science!

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 01 Jun, 2020 14:53

What you say is correct and you have a suction side air leak and can be anywhere in your 3 pump inlets underground as well
Try them one at a time and see if there is any difference
Also lubricate your pump basket lid "O" ring with silicon grease (this is the most obvious place to try first)
You won't get any positive pressure air leaks
Jimbot
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Jimbot » Tue 02 Jun, 2020 06:10

Hi, thanks for that.
Am I right I thinking that the silicon grease is only there to lubricate the threads of the joints and the "slipperyness" of the o ring , to allow them to bed together well? It doesn't seal as such, i.e. if there is a nick in the seal ?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 02 Jun, 2020 10:18

You don't want to put it round threads as it can make them slippery and you can jump threads
You can use plain silicon in threads to seal but be careful you don't over tighten
The silicon grease on the "O" ring does help to seal butnot nicks
Jimbot
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Jimbot » Mon 08 Jun, 2020 07:32

Thanks for the info. I could only get a silicon spray but it worked great!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 08 Jun, 2020 15:39

Did it stop the air leak, you should be able to get silicon grease online
Oldy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Oldy » Wed 10 Jun, 2020 14:24

Yeah that air leak is at the plumbing before the pump or at the pump lid or at the pump itself.

I found this text online that helped me a lot https://www.leaktechnician.com/the-air- ... roken-pipe

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”