brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
stormsteff
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Fiberglass in ground

Bulging fiberglass pool and hydrostatic pressure

Postby stormsteff » Fri 21 May, 2021 11:20

Hi, we’ve owned a fiberglass in ground pool for nearly 5 years And last summer I noticed the pool walls were bulging in a lot. What I didn’t know was that I probably needed to be pumping water out of a sump hole at the end of the pool as we have a very high water table here. My question is, if I pump the water out of the hole now and maintain, will the bulges go back down or am I stuck with them? I also noticed the square bottom of the pool is also curving doors pretty bad. I’m getting a pool guy out for a consult but just wondering if anyone has an idea if this pool can be saved (it’s not leaking as of now). The pressure and deformation can’t be good!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Bulging fiberglass pool and hydrostatic pressure

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 21 May, 2021 11:56

You shouldn't have bulging because of groundwater as the pressures are equal on both sides. I would look at whatever was used to backfill when installed
The sump is generally used to pump out the water when the pool is emptied to prevent the shell from floating
I take it that the pool is a complete fibreglass shell and not a concrete coated one
stormsteff
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Fiberglass in ground

Re: Bulging fiberglass pool and hydrostatic pressure

Postby stormsteff » Sun 06 Jun, 2021 21:16

Yes, it’s a fiberglass shell that’s coated blue. Where some of the coating has worn away it’s a little rough, but no concrete I’m sure. Thank you for your comment, I did get ahold of a fiberglass pool person who told me what you did. Basically nothing can be done but cross fingers and hope the shell holds!

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”