Help With Pool Valves

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
lostinlasvegas
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Help with valves please. I have no clue how to run the pool. Just bought the house. Its 18w x 38 L, concrete pool. The spa is part of those dimensions and runs overflows in to the pool. The pool and equipment are 20 yrs old. What is the normal placement of these valves for a daily basis? There are 3 baskets around the pool. One PacFab filtration canister with once catridge. There are 4 valves that run along the pvc in front of the pump/filter. There is another valve that can go 3 different ways, another that runs in to the heater that moves from pool or spa. There are also two valves that belong to the pumps for the spa. I am most concerned with the 4 valves that obviously run the main drain, the filter/pump and the baskets. If you need pictures I can send them. Thanks for any help you can give. Jeannette

Help With Pool Valves

Postby lostinlasvegas » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 21:48

New home owner and I dont have a clue how the normal operation of the valves should be. The pool equipment is all functional. There are 5 valves in front of the pool pump/filter that run along the pvc. To the left of those there is a 6th valve that says "inlet" and the other words are worn off. It is also inline with a small skimmer basket. The heater has 1 valve. I understand that is for heating the pool or spa. The spa has two pumps and no valves, its to the right of all this. I am mainly concerned with the 5 valves in front of filter/pump of the pool and 6th one that says inlet. There are 3 skimmer baskets around the pool itself. If you can help me with the normal placement of these valves that would be great. I appreciate any help at all. Thanks, Jeannette ps. Added a pic to help
Attachments
Valve Pic.jpg
Valve Pic.jpg (84.97 KiB) Viewed 3096 times

mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Help With Pool Valves

Postby mas985 » Tue 10 Aug, 2010 09:34

Those are on the suction side of the pump so will connect to each of the skimmers, one for the main drain and probably another for a suction cleaner port or another drain.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Help With Pool Valves

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 10 Aug, 2010 11:22

The 3 that are in the same position are most likely the 3 skimmers you have around your pool. The 2 that are in the off position are most likely your vacuum port and your main drain. The only way to find out which go to each is to shut one off, open the other and see if there's suction. Remember to mark them for future reference!!! (or draw a diagram)
lostinlasvegas
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Help with valves please. I have no clue how to run the pool. Just bought the house. Its 18w x 38 L, concrete pool. The spa is part of those dimensions and runs overflows in to the pool. The pool and equipment are 20 yrs old. What is the normal placement of these valves for a daily basis? There are 3 baskets around the pool. One PacFab filtration canister with once catridge. There are 4 valves that run along the pvc in front of the pump/filter. There is another valve that can go 3 different ways, another that runs in to the heater that moves from pool or spa. There are also two valves that belong to the pumps for the spa. I am most concerned with the 4 valves that obviously run the main drain, the filter/pump and the baskets. If you need pictures I can send them. Thanks for any help you can give. Jeannette

Help With Pool Valves

Postby lostinlasvegas » Tue 10 Aug, 2010 12:07

Makes complete sense. Thank you for the response. I'll try that. You would think that there would be some type of instructions that make all the equipment a lot easier for new pool owners. Thanks!

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”