Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
soccermom
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pressure went over 30 then to 2

Postby soccermom » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 08:28

Problem with DE filter. A few day ago, pressure went over 30 and water came out the value (emptying about a foot of water from my 20 x 41 pool) before someone turned it off. The filter was cleaned and pressure went down to 15 or so, but only for a day. The pressure was raising and remaining at 20-22. Finally, I took it apart again and looked at it...found that some of grids were broken and had a few holes. Was this a result of the high pressure? We cleaned them anyways with cleaner and put back together. Unfortunately, now the pressure is about 3. Do we need to replace the grids to fix the problem or is it something else?
Please help, as season is almost over and need to use a little longer.

jaycin
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jaycin » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 13:23

Not sure about the cause of the holes. I've had success using the MASKING TAPE METHOD. Plug each hole with tape. Cut the tape at least twice the size of the hole, and curve the four corners (no 90 degree corners). Be sure the grids are dry (leave them exposed overnight). Hope this works for you.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Sat 11 Sep, 2010 17:44

jaycin wrote:Not sure about the cause of the holes. I've had success using the MASKING TAPE METHOD. Plug each hole with tape. Cut the tape at least twice the size of the hole, and curve the four corners (no 90 degree corners). Be sure the grids are dry (leave them exposed overnight). Hope this works for you.

Your problem very well can be from the holes in the grids as water takes the course of least resistance (holes in grids will not create pressure in the filter). Regarding the "tape" repair, this will not work as you not only aren't filtering the water correctly since there is a reason for having a specific sq. ft. of filter area, fine particles will also go through the taped areas causing fine debris to return back into the pool, defeating the purpose of having a filter! Plus, all it will take is a bunch of that tape to get stuck in your return pipes, chlorinator system, heater, etc. and now you have a nightmare of an expense!

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”