How many days can pool survive without filter?

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
rhthompson
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: inground gunite 30 feet long 20+ years old

Postby rhthompson » Sat 02 Oct, 2010 17:17

my pump stopped working last night and i'm not sure how long it will take to get it diagnosed and fixed. How many days before serious algae or other problems arise? I just shocked the night before so chlorine is high, water temp is low 70s, day air temps in the 70s and night air temps in the 40s, i am brushing, nobody is swimming. 20k gallon inground gunite. I have maintained pool pretty well up to this point and not had any algae problems. thanks

Allen G Myerson

Postby Allen G Myerson » Sat 02 Oct, 2010 20:36

As long as your chemicals are good, you have a while before you have major problems. What are all of your chemical levels?

You can add liquid chlorine to maintain a good chlorine level. Dilute it at least 10 to 1 in a bucket before adding it, and brush the pool thoroughly.

You should get your pump fixed as soon as possible. Even though you probably have about a week, it is best to have a working system for optimum performance. What kind of cover do you have? Putting the cover on can help protect the pool while the system is off.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 02:20

rhthompson wrote:my pump stopped working last night and i'm not sure how long it will take to get it diagnosed and fixed. How many days before serious algae or other problems arise? I just shocked the night before so chlorine is high, water temp is low 70s, day air temps in the 70s and night air temps in the 40s, i am brushing, nobody is swimming. 20k gallon inground gunite. I have maintained pool pretty well up to this point and not had any algae problems. thanks

How are you "diagnosing" the pump? Did it run dry causing a bunch of melted components, or is it just a simple motor replacement issue? Your pool should not go long without running as you will run into problems from not circulating and filtering the pool which will end up costing you in the long run in chlorine costs to correct the future algae issue. Standing, uncirculated water is also a haven for mosquitos and other insects you may not want attracted to your pool!
rhthompson
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: inground gunite 30 feet long 20+ years old

Postby rhthompson » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 18:36

thanks for responses and suggestions to my question. I was thinking and hoping i have at least a few days. I will keep brushing and of course watch the chlorine. Putting on the cover was a good suggestion but i will probably not do that just yet

i do hope to get pump fixed in the next few days. If you are interested, i have just now posted the following in the forum for Pumps and etc, under the title "Old motor for hayward pump" :

my Hayward superpump 1600 series is probably 15+ years old (came with the house i bought 2007) with Magnetek 8129 motor. Motor housing is rusty on the outside from exposure to dampness. I've been running it 24/7 with no problems until motor shut down 2 days ago. Will not restart -- only hums. Humming can mean bad capacitor but as far as i can tell (using ohmmeter test, first time i've ever done it) the capacitor is ok. Shaft turns freely, i don't see any obstructions in the impeller (i rebuilt the pump two years ago, new seal and rings), but when i reassemble pump the motor still only hums. Also i don't think there are any blockages in the suction/pump/return lines. I don't know of any reason motor would have overheated.

So i think something in the motor just crapped out, maybe from moisture, and next step is to take the motor to a shop.

I have never dealt with a motor shop. Anybody have any tips for communicating with shop? Depending on what shop says, anybody have any thoughts on whether it might be best just to get a new motor? Or maybe even a whole new pump?
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 18:48

rhthompson wrote:thanks for responses and suggestions to my question. I was thinking and hoping i have at least a few days. I will keep brushing and of course watch the chlorine. Putting on the cover was a good suggestion but i will probably not do that just yet

i do hope to get pump fixed in the next few days. If you are interested, i have just now posted the following in the forum for Pumps and etc, under the title "Old motor for hayward pump" :

my Hayward superpump 1600 series is probably 15+ years old (came with the house i bought 2007) with Magnetek 8129 motor. Motor housing is rusty on the outside from exposure to dampness. I've been running it 24/7 with no problems until motor shut down 2 days ago. Will not restart -- only hums. Humming can mean bad capacitor but as far as i can tell (using ohmmeter test, first time i've ever done it) the capacitor is ok. Shaft turns freely, i don't see any obstructions in the impeller (i rebuilt the pump two years ago, new seal and rings), but when i reassemble pump the motor still only hums. Also i don't think there are any blockages in the suction/pump/return lines. I don't know of any reason motor would have overheated.

So i think something in the motor just crapped out, maybe from moisture, and next step is to take the motor to a shop.

I have never dealt with a motor shop. Anybody have any tips for communicating with shop? Depending on what shop says, anybody have any thoughts on whether it might be best just to get a new motor? Or maybe even a whole new pump?

Personally, I just don't trust re-built or repaired motors. It seems the issue's never seem to "go away". It's best to just get a new motor, and know that your getting a good warranty, and new, unused parts that will last.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”