Ecosmarte

The Pool Wizard, Nature2, the Frog and other mineral systems for
simpler pool care. Non-chlorine Pristine Blue, Rainforest Blue and similar.
Ihatechlorine

Ecosmarte

Postby Ihatechlorine » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 07:04

Is anyone using Ecosmarte?
Can I get some feedback. I want to install the Ecosmart system.

They say zero salt, zero chlorine! I need references before I buy.

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Ecosmarte

Postby Larry » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 07:59

I have come across the Ecosmarte only twice. I must admit that the water looks, smells and feels great. They were both in small villa pools, where there would only be an average of 8-10 bathings sessions with 2 people per month.

I do not know how suitable it is for regularly used pools and how effective the sanitation it provides is. I would definitely speak to people who have been using it for a while before making a decision. I would also want to see some microbiological studies or tests to confirm any claims.

I seem to remember reading about the slow kill rates of copper, oxygen and hydroxyl on bacteria and viruses. I could be mistaken and have no reference for it now. I'll try find some concrete information for you.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Ecosmarte

Postby chem geek » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 11:25

There are threads about this on other forums here, here, here (more URLs to follow in next post). The claims on their website are the worst part as many are exaggerated or bogus. If not used with an EPA-approved sanitizer (chlorine, bromine, biguanide/Baqua/PHMB), then it isn't as sanitary as needed to prevent person-to-person transmission. It's a spectrum of risk -- much better than not using anything at all in the water, but not as good as using a real sanitizer.

If you use the system you have to be very careful watching the pH because if it rises you can get staining from the metal ions used in the system.

Richard
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Ecosmarte

Postby chem geek » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 11:26

Also more posts/threads about this here and here.

Why does this site limit the number of URLs to only 4 in a post? It also does not let me make a second post so soon after my previous post (I guess to limit spammers).

Return to “Swimming Pool Mineral Systems”