Cant raise my PH or TA

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
Erica1981
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 13,000 gallon inground pool with vinyl liner. Just bought the house dont know much about owner a pool at all. My ph and TA is extremely low! The TA is in the negative and the PH is so low it's not even on the chart so I'm assuming it's like 3ppm if not lower.

Cant raise my PH or TA

Postby Erica1981 » Sat 27 Jul, 2019 09:46

I just recently bought a house with a inground pool. I am new to being a pool owner and very inexperienced. We opened it in June. Ihave been checking pool since we opened it. And the TA and PH have always been so low it's not on the chart and chlorine is always perfect. I didnt know it was a big deal cause pool is always clear and no problems. But recently I read about the ph and ta being low and the damage it can cause to our equipment and pipes then when I started to do something about the levels and trying to bring them up. Its been few weeks now and I have tried everything from soda ash to baking soda, borax and washing soda to raise ph and TA with no success! The levels have not gone up AT ALL! When I check the TA instead of it turning green like it's supposed to its turns almost red or very dark pink! I'm assuming its cause the TA is so low that's why it's not turning the sample green. I dont know what else to do. I have put pounds and pounds of PH up and baking soda in over past couple weeks and nothing is changing. Can someone PLEASE help me! Thank you. Erica

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Cant raise my PH or TA

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 27 Jul, 2019 11:20

Hi Erica1981 and welcome
Something doesn't seem right
How are you testing, can it be a testing error, do you have a FAS/DPD test kit
Please let us have your numbers
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”