Leslie Test and Dry Acid doesn't seem right...

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
Abovegrdpool
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex 18x48, Vinyl, Chlorine, 7,500 gallons Upgraded filter from factory 1000 gph to the 2500 gph, located in Texas

Leslie Test and Dry Acid doesn't seem right...

Postby Abovegrdpool » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 21:06

Just filled up my INTEX 18x48 Above Ground Pool on Monday. Been doing water tests every day and today took a water sample to my local Leslie's Pool Store.

I was reading a 8.0pH and 240ppm Total Alkalinity for 7,500 gallons of water. Ideal numbers being 7.2ph and 80ppm, they recommended a Total Amount of 22lbs 10oz of Dry Acid for the entire pool. However, the bucket of dry acid for my pool stats says to add 28oz for 8.0ph reading. Every pool calculator out there says the same thing.

I added Leslie's recipe and 12 hrs later just tested and I'm reading a 4.0 pH. What the heck?! 22lbs 10oz seems excessive to me but I'm new to this and first time doing it. 3 10lbs buckets cost $75 but I feel like they just wanted to sell me chemicals. Does this seem correct?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Leslie Test and Dry Acid doesn't seem right...

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 25 Apr, 2020 03:39

You are right they just want to sell. Don't trust them. They probably worked out how much to get your TA down and forgot about the pH
22lbs is excessive. Why did you do what Leslies said when you knew that everything and everyone else said it was wrong
You should have put in less than what the bucket said and then add some more
You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results as maintaining an appropiate shock level means testing quite often during the day
Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA
Use aeration to raise your pH as soda ash (pH up) will oniy Yo-Yo your TA
Aerator I use a large pond aerator

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”