PH/TA keeps creeping up

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
rafaelbasso
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 gallon pool, plaster, using ozone/UV light plus chlorine, it has a continuous pump, cartridge filter and a heater, plus automatic cover.

PH/TA keeps creeping up

Postby rafaelbasso » Sat 09 May, 2020 09:15

We have a 15,000 gallon plaster pool built in October 2019. We already had to dump the water and wash/repolish the plaster due to calcification. Now after refill the PH/TA keep creeping up. We had it well balanced for a few days - LSI at .00 to .016 (PH 7.4, TA 120PPM) then next day PH went up to almost 8 and TA 150 PPM. This is not the first time it happens and we are having a hard time to keep it stable. Some additional information: Hardness 280-290 PPM, very low levels of chlorine as we have an Ozone/UV light system.

Any insights on why the PH keeps getting out of control?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: PH/TA keeps creeping up

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 09 May, 2020 16:36

Use acid to bring your pH down to 7.2 (this will also bring your TA down as well)
Aerate to bring pH up to about 8 then repeat untill TA is where you want it and pH is about 7.4

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”