Low ph, high TA - Newbie needs help!

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
eldrn99
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In-ground 20000 gal. Pebble surface. No spa

Chlorine system, cartridge filter

Variable speed pump (we run at least on low 24/7)

Low ph, high TA - Newbie needs help!

Postby eldrn99 » Mon 04 Jul, 2022 10:01

We have a new pool, 20000 gal, pebble. Shocked for first time 3 days ago with HtH shock advanced. Today FAC 5, ph 7.2, TA 180. There really was no change in levels after shocking. Water is clear. Variable speed pump runs at 85% 3 hours/day (or more if needed) at at 25% the entire rest of the day. Not sure what to do chemically - my app is advising I add muriatic acid (3 gallons!) to correct the TA but won't that bottom out the ph? That seems excessive to me. HELP this newbie!!

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Low ph, high TA - Newbie needs help!

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 05 Jul, 2022 01:10

To raise the pH but leave the TA where it is you need to aerate the water by any means, point the returns skyward, shop vac on blow etc. Then when pH is around 8 you add acid to lower both the TA and pH then aerate again and repeat until you get the water where you want it to be. Incidentally you should find out the CYA stabiliser level (not from dip strips as they cannot measure accurately). You may need to increase your pump speed for longer to improve aeration. Why do you run the pump at 85% for 3 hours, What does this achieve? That the 25% doesn't?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 05 Jul, 2022 03:31

Aerator or a large pond aerator
eldrn99
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In-ground 20000 gal. Pebble surface. No spa

Chlorine system, cartridge filter

Variable speed pump (we run at least on low 24/7)

Postby eldrn99 » Wed 06 Jul, 2022 22:34

Thanks for the tips. My vacuum doesnt seem to work well unless its on over 65%. When the pool was set up the guy recommended we run it at 80 for several hours then 40 in the afternoon then 20 overnight to get a lot of water turnover. The pump settings got messed up so i just set it this way to see if it will still stay clean. So far it does.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 07 Jul, 2022 11:18

Vacuum cleaner? Yes could well be. Sadly not really doing much that running slower wouldn't achieve. I would be interested to know your system pressure from your gauge at the various settings?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”