High chlorine demand

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Shinebsr
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Ingound 10,000 gallon
Aquacal heat pump
Pentair pump
Sand filter

High chlorine demand

Postby Shinebsr » Mon 19 Jul, 2021 20:21

Hi everyone, I’m hoping I can get some advice as to whether or not I’m on the right track.

This year we have had relentless rain in western NY and I battled with a mustard algae problem when opening my safety covered 10,000 gallon inground pool. I got things back to normal after 15 gallons of chlorox. All my chemicals have been balanced as follows:

Cya: 60 ppm
Alkalinity: 110 ppm
Calcium: 250 ppm
pH: 7.4
Chlorine: 0.5-1 ppm

The chlorine level is what has me stumped. I will use 73% cal hypo when needed (usually once a week), otherwise I am using 2 3” trichlor tablets weekly, 1lb non-chlorine oxidizer, pool perfect, polyquat 60, and the occasional splash of bleach.

When I saw pink algae two weeks ago, I knew there was a problem even though the pool is crystal clear. I measured the chlorine today and it was 1ppm TC with 0.8ppm CC and 0.2ppm FC. With my stabilizer level and pH I calculated I need around 7.5ppm chlorine. So I decided to superchlorinate… I dumped in 2 gallons of bleach (around 20ppm chlorine) and it was gone in 45 minutes (back to around 2ppm). I added another 2 and it dropped to around 3 ppm after another 20 minutes. I added a fifth gallon and it dropped to around 4 ppm after around 20 minutes.

I’m not sure if it’s the stabilizer sucking up the chlorine or organics so I added 2lbs of oxone. I realize the combined chlorine will now be off but the FC is just not staying above 4ppm.

I know trichlor pucks is the first thing to go so I stopped those. I’m just wondering if this is a pink algae problem that isn’t totally visible other than a couple streaks on the ladder and a pink filter sock, or a stabilizer problem. I backwash maybe once a week but not less than once every 2 weeks. Should I be adding liquid bleach daily to get to the 7.5ppm, or will the cya bound chlorine get released as needed and I only need to add chlorine every few days? Do ai keep adding liquid bleach until I get to 7.5 for some period of time?

Thanks in advance for any solutions!

Steve

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: High chlorine demand

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 29 Jul, 2021 09:00

I seem to have missed this
Forget about 7.5 With a CYA of 60 you need a Slam level of 24 to do any good
Slam (Shock Level and Maintain) with relation to Chlorine / CYA Chart and Recommended Pool Levels

Return to “Chlorine”