Best way to add chlorine

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Pupman
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36ft. ...inground...vinyl liner....had this pool six months but others for years

Where did the chlorine go?

Postby Pupman » Wed 28 Sep, 2022 16:47

Hello everyone, new forum guy here....not new to pools.
Been battling missing chlorine last part of summer. Know it disappears via sun and all, but over the last 5 days have probably added 10 lbs of cal hypo and still tests says zero. Thru the years have always added thru skimmer and always had good water chems. But with this pool I seem to be getting nowhere..fast.. Have read in various places to add thru different means but have never seen a consensus. Am trying to get levels that are steady and then let tablets take over. So....any advice from you all.....

Pupman
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36ft. ...inground...vinyl liner....had this pool six months but others for years

Best way to add chlorine

Postby Pupman » Wed 28 Sep, 2022 17:13

Hello everyone....pupman here...new to this forum but not new to pools..
Am new to this pool have had about 6 months...inground 18x36 about 25000 gal. Problem is can seem to raise chlorine level....over last 5 days have probably added 10 lbs of cal hypo with no visible increase in chlorine levels, test wise or smell wise. Thru the years have always added thru skimmer with great results, but with pool I get zero as far as test results go, all other test (ph and others) are good. Have read about other means of adding , ie. broadcast powder, dilute and add, but no consensus on which is best. SO... what's the best way to get chlorine into pool..
Have tablet chlorinator but shouldn't I get levels up before relying on tablets to keep level up???
Thanks ahead of time....
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Best way to add chlorine

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 29 Sep, 2022 02:08

Lets have a look at your numbers and how do you test?

CYA figure is very very important as you mentioned letting tabs take over it suggests you use them a lot?
CYA can become too high and makes some test for free chlorine not show. A lack of any CYA such as with Cal hypo means not protecting chlorine from the suns UV and completely loosing the chlorine after a few hours.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Best way to add chlorine

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 30 Sep, 2022 01:38

Seconded

Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach) Liquid chlorine only adds salt
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA

Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
To reduce your CYA you have to do a partial drain and refill
Continuous use of Trichlor/Dichlor will raise your CYA which means you have to raise your chlorine level as well

Let's have your numbers (CYA is very important) Use a pool store if you don't have a FAS/DPD kit
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:

Return to “Chlorine”