DIFFERENT BRANDS OF SHOCK

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
MICU9

DIFFERENT BRANDS OF SHOCK

Postby MICU9 » Sat 12 Aug, 2006 17:18

CURRENTLY USING DY-CHLOR II FOR POOL MAINTENANCE, DOES IT MATTER IF I CHANGE TO A DIFFERENT TYPE OF SHOCK, CHLORINE?

me

Re: DIFFERENT BRANDS OF SHOCK

Postby me » Sat 12 Aug, 2006 18:54

MICU9 wrote:CURRENTLY USING DY-CHLOR II FOR POOL MAINTENANCE, DOES IT MATTER IF I CHANGE TO A DIFFERENT TYPE OF SHOCK, CHLORINE?

Yes. Dichlor, like trichlor, is a stabilized form of chlorine. Both add significant amounts of stabilizer to the pool. Eventually the water will saturate with stabilizer, chlorine will no longer be effective, and you'll have to drain and refill.

I suggest you use an *unstabilized* for of chlorine for shock, either bleach or calcium hypochlorite. These will not add stabilizer to the pool, calcium hypochlorite will make the water cloudy a few minutes, bleach may increase the pH a tiny amount.

In any case, do not attempt ever to mix both forms of chlorine (stabilized and non-stabilized).
micu9

Postby micu9 » Sun 13 Aug, 2006 11:07

what do you mean by not mixing? in the pool or in a bucket. if i have the dichlor in the pool now can i add the ca hypochlorite?
me

Postby me » Sun 13 Aug, 2006 21:14

micu9 wrote:what do you mean by not mixing? in the pool or in a bucket. if i have the dichlor in the pool now can i add the ca hypochlorite?

Don't mix them in the same container.

In the pool it's okay because of the water volume (the products are diluted more).

But NEVER mix them both in the same bucket or chlorinator. This is not a joke and I am not kidding.
micu9

Postby micu9 » Wed 16 Aug, 2006 08:03

Thanks for the clarification.

Postby Guest » Wed 16 Aug, 2006 15:11

Eventually the water will saturate with stabilizer, chlorine will no longer be effective, and you'll have to drain and refill.

At what level does this happen?
me
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby me » Thu 17 Aug, 2006 06:35

Anonymous wrote:
Eventually the water will saturate with stabilizer, chlorine will no longer be effective, and you'll have to drain and refill.

At what level does this happen?

Well, the normal range for CYA is 30 to 50 ppm, and some States have regulations that specify the maximum level at 100 ppm.

Keep in mind that trichlor is 55% stabilizer and 45% chlorine by weight. (The molecular weight of trichlor is 232.4103, stabilizer is 126.0513 and chlorine is 106.359) Each time you add a 250 gram trichlor puck to the pool you're adding 3.6 ppm stabiliser to a 38000 liter pool, 28 pucks later you're at >100 ppm. Your mileage may vary however, some pucks are not 100% trichlor and some stabilizer is lost though splashing and backwash. But sooner or later (more sooner than later) with trichlor you reach the critical 100ppm level.
kamkuda
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby kamkuda » Wed 06 Sep, 2006 18:21

I agree that an unstabilized chlorine is the best shock product or a blended product that uses non chlorine and chlorine components.

Chlorine works very effectively with Stabilizer levels betwwen 40-100 ppm.
Stabilizer will help prevent chlorine loss due to the UV rays of the sun. It will help save costs

Return to “Chlorine”