Stabilized Chlorine problem

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
serpico1
I'm new here
I'm new here

Stabilized Chlorine problem

Postby serpico1 » Mon 14 Aug, 2006 22:03

I have been have a big problem with my PH and Total Alk. being severely low. The TA is non exisitant and the PH is around 6.5 and will not rise.

I was told that one of the problems is the fact that I use a stabilized chlorine tablet which containes an acid. This causes the PH and TA to decrease. I was suggested that using liquid bleach would solve this problem and also bring my ph up.

I have added several pounds of baking soda and Borax 20 mule team to raise the TA & PH, but so far only the TA has risen to about 80-120, the PH is still around 6.5- 6.8

Can anyone verify the chlorine debate

Re: Stabilized Chlorine problem

Postby Guest » Fri 18 Aug, 2006 10:34

serpico1 wrote:I have been have a big problem with my PH and Total Alk. being severely low. The TA is non exisitant and the PH is around 6.5 and will not rise.

I was told that one of the problems is the fact that I use a stabilized chlorine tablet which containes an acid. This causes the PH and TA to decrease. I was suggested that using liquid bleach would solve this problem and also bring my ph up.

I have added several pounds of baking soda and Borax 20 mule team to raise the TA & PH, but so far only the TA has risen to about 80-120, the PH is still around 6.5- 6.8

Can anyone verify the chlorine debate

Did you start the season with a 'normal' pH? If so then I think that's too much of a step downwards to be caused by the trichlor/dichlor alone.

Assuming the pH is still at 6.8 you need 1.4 kilos of ph+ to bring the pH up to 7.5. I don't have the qty of borax required for that unfortunately, it's not as simple as ph- as it depends on the initial alkalinity level.
kamkuda
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby kamkuda » Wed 06 Sep, 2006 18:15

Tri chloro is very concentrated and as stated above, it will have very little impact on your pH and Total Alk.
KC1
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby KC1 » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 11:01

MY CYA IS 150 AND IS KEEPING MY TA &PH DOWN
IJUST ADD 1LB OF BAKEING SODA &1LB OF SHOCK TO 8.000 A WEEK TILL CYA DROPS FROM SPLASH OUT.

Return to “Chlorine”