High CYA levels

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
LYoungblood
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 22,900 in ground pool, pebble tech, DE filter

High CYA levels

Postby LYoungblood » Sat 02 May, 2020 22:31

We have an unground pool, 22,900 gallons. Our pool service advised us that we needed to have our pool partially drained because of high CYA. They wanted $330 with no guarantee that the partial drain will resolve issue and a second would be required.

We decided to partially drain our pool ourselves. We drained about 18" and lowered the CYA to 85.

Leslie's indicated that the CYA will shoot back up unless we do a complete drain and acid wash the pool.

Is a CYA of 85 dangerous? Would you recommend another partial drain to lower the CYA levels more? Is a complete drain and wash required?

Does CYA reach these levels due to mismanagement of chemicals or is inevitable over time?

We were thinking of leaving the water alone for this summer and use chlorine with no stabilizer? Or is that a bad idea?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: High CYA levels

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 03 May, 2020 03:28

Obviously you have been chlorinating with Trichlor or Dichlor. If you continue using them then your CYA will rise again regardless of what work you do now
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm

CYA isn't dangerous, excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you need more to sanitise, but you do need some
Check out these posts to decide what is the best level to keep your CYA at for your pool
Chlorine / CYA Chart and
Recommended Pool Levels
No you don't need to do an acid wash (Cyanuric acid is an acid)
Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA
Leslie's are in the business of selling products, they would have had you drain your pool, acid wash, refill, add various chemicals and you would think everything was perfect until your CYA was excessive again
Hope I have covered all points and put you on the right track to keep your pool clean

Return to “Chlorine”