Chlorine

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Needmypool
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 7500 gallon above ground

Chlorine

Postby Needmypool » Sun 21 Jun, 2020 15:06

My pool test keeps coming up bright orange been this way for 2 weeks now. I have order chlorine neutralize but my question is, is it safe to swim in? My PH comes up perfect

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Chlorine

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:20

You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results as maintaining an appropiate shock level means testing quite often during the day
I've no idea what bright orange indicates
Let's have your numbers, maybe from a pool store
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
You can swim up to shock level for your pool
GregAAmin
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby GregAAmin » Fri 18 Sep, 2020 08:13

If your chlorine test turns bright orange, your pool water has a very high chlorine content, above 4 ppm. One option is to use a chlorine neutralizer to bring chlorine back into the proper range. If your pH test result looks purple or blue means it indicates that your pool water has a very high chlorine content. It's better to consult with a pool expert soon. If the chlorine content is high never get down in the pool. High chlorine level may cause lung irritation, skin and eye damage, and provoke asthma. Not only is it really bad for your health.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 18 Sep, 2020 08:58

GregAAmin wrote:If your chlorine test turns bright orange, your pool water has a very high chlorine content, above 4 ppm. One option is to use a chlorine neutralizer to bring chlorine back into the proper range. If your pH test result looks purple or blue means it indicates that your pool water has a very high chlorine content. It's better to consult with a pool expert soon. If the chlorine content is high never get down in the pool. High chlorine level may cause lung irritation, skin and eye damage, and provoke asthma. Not only is it really bad for your health.

I have to pull you up on your incorrect info. 4ppm is not high and in the target range for a CYA of 20 as indicated in Chlorine / CYA Chart and Recommended Pool Levels
You can also swim up to your shock level for your CYA which for the lowest CYA of 20 is 10ppm but if you are using stabilised chlorine pucks, tabs or granules your CYA will be a lot higher

Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
To reduce your CYA you have to do a partial drain and refill
Continous use of Trichlor/Dichlor will raise your CYA which means you have to raise your chlorine level as well

If you are experiencing bad reaction in the pool water it's probably because of combined chlorine
This is why we ask for numbers to offer the best advice and just not repeat old outdated ideas
GregAAmin
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby GregAAmin » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 07:16

Thank you for your valuable information. I have a plan to construct a pool, so I can follow these chlorine measures.

Return to “Chlorine”