Sodium hypochlorite kg to liter

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Okoth
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: Desjoyaux pool. Vinyl. 52000 liters. Desjoyaux filter bags, 6 and 15 microns. Pentair pool test kit for Cl and pH. Indonesia

Re: Sodium hypochlorite kg to liter

Postby Okoth » Sat 20 Nov, 2021 23:19

Customs will keep it. I tried ordering from Amazon or pool shops from Australia, but they all say we cannot send the kit because of restrictions. Importing chemicals is very hard in Indonesia. Even a test kit.

The pool is getting better now. Shocked it last night with 15 liters of sodium hypochlorite. There must have been at least 10ppm in the pool before shocking it. If the liquid chlorine was 6% then I shocked with 28ppm, but if it was indeed 12% (as they say it was) I shocked it with 47ppm FC :D . Can't see any stains on the liner so I guess it's nearer to 6 than 12%.

The water is getting better now, but how long before it comes back again. Bit worried about the algae in the porous coping stone. Can't really brush it away. The coping stone isn't sealed. Maybe I can still do it if I know what to use.

https://micular.com/images/5.jpg

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Sun 21 Nov, 2021 03:28

:lol: You can use the chlorine to wash down the stones but do it in the evening after the suns almost gone that way it wont get burnt up by the suns UV.
I usually use a watering can with the rose attached and a special pair of already ruined trousers or my plastic leggings if I remember :lol:

Sorry to hear about customs, do they open everything, could you get a different description on the package?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Okoth
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: Desjoyaux pool. Vinyl. 52000 liters. Desjoyaux filter bags, 6 and 15 microns. Pentair pool test kit for Cl and pH. Indonesia

Postby Okoth » Sun 21 Nov, 2021 17:08

Teapot1 wrote::lol: You can use the chlorine to wash down the stones but do it in the evening after the suns almost gone that way it wont get burnt up by the suns UV.
I usually use a watering can with the rose attached and a special pair of already ruined trousers or my plastic leggings if I remember :lol:

Sorry to hear about customs, do they open everything, could you get a different description on the package?

No pants around my pool. It's already hot enough :lol:

A different description might be something to try. I'm going to find out what they definitely not open. I might be that they randomly open packages, but anything near to chemicals they'll surely open. Thanks for the tip!
Okoth
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Okoth » Tue 23 Nov, 2021 21:26

4 days later, pool is not even clear but algae is coming back. Total chlorine is plenty, free chlorine (strip) is there but reduced a lot.

Today my phosphate test kit will arrive. See what that says. I found calcium and alkaline tests as well so the only one I can't test is CYA but that can be estimated for now.

Total mystery to me what's happening and why the algae is stubborn... Today I'll add polyquat 60, see if that make a change because the algae is still little. And if not I am going to switch to copper sulfate soon because I have other things to do than cleaning the pool.

Later today I'll post the test results and then we can see what chemicals to add. I have never measured calcium and total alkaline so that might need to go up...
Okoth
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Okoth » Wed 24 Nov, 2021 01:47

I have some numbers

pH 7.0
TC 4 *
FC 0.5 *
CYA 30 **
CH 50
TA ?
Phosphate 2.0 mg/L

* are estimates from OTO or test strip.
** calculated by counting back the Trichlor I used.
TA test is not here yet. Probably 2-3 more days.

FC needs to go up. CYA can go up. So I'll use trichlor for now. We drained quite some water the past days when vacuuming to waste. There's no option on my pump, so the pump wasted water full speed.
I don't know if I can get calcium hypochlorite but I will try. Any other way to raise the calcium level?

I need to do something about the phosphates. Ready-made products to lower the phosphates are hard to get or very expensive. I don't know if you need a lot to lower phosphates.
I read that calcium reduces phosphates but I don't know if it's enough in the long run to use calcium hypochlorite?

https://micular.com/images/6.jpg
Okoth
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Okoth » Wed 24 Nov, 2021 18:34

Lots of patches of algae again. I need a very good reason not to use copper sulfate.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 25 Nov, 2021 02:34

I wouldn't use trichlor, yes it will increase CYA but doing so inhibits the chlorine from killing algae even more.

Calcium doesnt lower phosphates.

2mg/l phosphates is high so youll need to spend some money there instead of polyquat which is too weak to do anything and as I said before chlorine will also be used up burning out the polyquat.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Okoth
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Okoth » Thu 25 Nov, 2021 03:46

Okay then I'll wait adding trichor, but it's my only source of CYA.

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood this
Add calcium: This can be a good option if you also need to raise your pool's calcium levels, which should be kept between 220-400 ppm. Calcium (a positive ion) will bind to phosphate (a negative ion), reducing its availability to the algae.
https://dengarden.com/swimming-pools/pool-chemistry

Okay, I'll try to find a chemical that lowers phosphates.

Thanks again
Okoth
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Okoth » Thu 25 Nov, 2021 03:48

2 mg/L to ppb. Is that 2000 ppb?

Found the answer. Can't delete this post...
Okoth
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Okoth » Thu 25 Nov, 2021 06:30

I'm stuck. Can't find any pool phosphate remover in Indonesia.
Okoth
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Okoth » Thu 25 Nov, 2021 06:47

I could use aluminium sulfate, but the ground water and the Municipal Water are both above 1.5 mg/L of phosphates. I need to use that to fill the pool with...

I'm going to test copper sulfate with my pool liner and will use it afterwards. When I cannot test the pool water properly and I can't get the chemicals to get the pool algae free, and I know I can get rid of them with copper sulfate, then I don't want to waste my time anymore.

Thank you for your help, Teapot1, but there are no other options. Well, another option I consider is to get rid of the pool...
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 25 Nov, 2021 08:35

If you can get Dryden Aqua products could you get NoPhos?
Okoth
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Okoth » Thu 25 Nov, 2021 20:08

I cannot get Dryden products or NoPhos.

Yesterday I shocked the pool again. It doubled the algae. This week I used more than 40 liters of sodium chlorite 6%. Algae still growing.

New plan: going to test copper sulfate with a sample of my liner. If there won't be any stains I will drain the pool, wash it with diluted chlorine and refill it. Then I will add copper sulfate and later I'll keep the chlorine level between 0.5-1. Any stains will be my beloved babies and I will cherish them like my own children.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 26 Nov, 2021 02:43

Okoth wrote:
Yesterday I shocked the pool again. It doubled the algae.

Not possible.
Any change in colour is therefore down to? Could be a metal in the water being oxidised by the shock level.
A little like the Olympic pool in Brazil.

Could you make friends with the local water treatment company and see if the would let you have some phosphate remover, although at your levels maybe they dont use it either.
Okoth
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Okoth » Fri 26 Nov, 2021 19:05

I shocked it with 10 liters of sodium hypochlorite, but that is what I see all the time. The only time lately when this doesn't happen is when I shock it like last Saturday with 15 liters which is 18ppm, assuming that my 12% chlorite is 6%. Also when I shock the pool on Saturday, there was no color change at all. Only that the water got cloudy. Water is still not clear after 24/7 pump running for a week... First time that happened. Maybe I have to replace the filter bag. It's been 2 years now.

The water color doesn't change but first I had a bit of algae on the bottom where the current is different and the algae gathers, but after the shock it was a lot more. What I notice is that when I add the municipal water to a bucket and ad a teaspoon of copper sulfate the next day there is a lot of yellow residue at the bottom. 2 days ago a filled a bucket to see how long it takes before the water is yellow but today it was still fine. This doesn't happen with the ground water, but I am worried when I use the ground water again and later I want to add copper sulfate I'll get stains again. Maybe there are metals? Now I'm only using municipal water, with lots of phosphates...

I could make friends with the water treatment plants people, that's actually a good idea. I can also try at the municipal water office. I hope they're not too proud and offended quickly... I only need a bit of phosphate remover. But it could be they only use aluminium sulfate. Very popular here.

Return to “Chlorine”