Chlorine pool spikes?

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Stunnn
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have a small hydrotherapy pool 6m x 5m x 1.2m (deep) that I have run for 8 years and just started overseeing a team with a 25m x 11m x (1m-3m deep) pool

Chlorine pool spikes?

Postby Stunnn » Fri 18 Feb, 2022 05:49

HI All,

I have run a small hydropool for some years with it's various quirks. Recently I have been given eleven schools, all with various problems, however:
I have just inherited a team who have a 25m x 11m x (1-3m deep) pool which is 12+ years old.

There are many problems to sort in the schools, and I heard nothing about the pool, so have not looked at it.

Recently we have a couple of competition clubs complain of breathing problems, so investigated and the CL is ~5ppm. Closed the pool, let the CL drop, check the dosing, check the testing, logs all look good..

Re-open and all is well until the competition groups come in again.
I sat on the side, taking readings whilst they rip up and down the pool - the CL levels rise from 4 to 5 ppm

There is some black dust at the bottom of the pool, that is daily swept to the outlets.
I would normally run a pool at CL 2ppm, and close >1 or >4, with PH of 7.2-7.4 (Close <7 or >8) - this pool has been running at 5ppm for some time.

My thoughts are that during low use, there is chlorine build up with the crud and in the corners/depths of the pool.
When the clubs come in they stir it all up, bringing this extra Chlorine in.
Pool is currently closed as I scratch my head with this. We had dropped the pool CL to 3 and I have changed the setpoint to site 1.8-2.0 ppm.
I am also buying a pool hoover as soon as accounts get the account set up (Monday?).
MEanwhile recomending as much water turnover as possible.

Am I going down the right line in your experience?

Cheers,

Stu

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Chlorine pool spikes?

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 18 Feb, 2022 08:29

Are you measuring free available chlorine or total chlorine which would include the chloramines?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Stunnn
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have a small hydrotherapy pool 6m x 5m x 1.2m (deep) that I have run for 8 years and just started overseeing a team with a 25m x 11m x (1m-3m deep) pool

Postby Stunnn » Fri 18 Feb, 2022 09:05

Hi Teapot1,

Sorry, I should have said - Free Chlorine.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 18 Feb, 2022 14:40

No problem, just thought I would ask.
When were the sensors cleaned or changed? In the past I have been called in to look at over dosing and the probes were 10+ years old, they are expensive so owners often over look them at service time.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Stunnn
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Stunnn » Sat 19 Feb, 2022 16:50

There was a new doing system installed over the summer holidays (Certidos LDPHCL)
Part of the buildup (I think) is that before I started asking questions, the site team left the engineer to calibrate it on his monthly visits.. :shock: as they were not confident about using it... That has now changed, thankfully.

The piping, ect is 12+ years old though.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Sun 20 Feb, 2022 02:09

Ok and the filters, when were they last stripped and cleaned and what type? Sorry for all the questions
Stunnn
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Stunnn » Mon 21 Feb, 2022 03:49

Hi Teapot1,

Questions are good.
Last service of the filters is unknown.
I think we can safely say that they need changing.
Stunnn
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Stunnn » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 11:32

Forgot to add - They are sand filters (Which may be original 16 years old :roll: )
Stunnn
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Stunnn » Thu 17 Mar, 2022 05:21

Just to update this post...

We reduced the setpoint "range" for chlorine to 1.8 - 2ppm (was previously at 5)

Pool hoover purchased (wave 100 pool cleaner), which doesn't hurt at all.

Many backwashes..

All seems to nw be fine (touch wood)..
Pool side surface chlorine readings are ~1.7 from normal use, plant side ~2ppm.. Under heavy use the Pool side rises to ~2ppm, so definatly a low level build up and the thrashing mixes everything (as you would expect)...
Hope this helps someone else in the future..

Return to “Chlorine”