Pre-mix chlorine granules in water for feeder

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
syntax1269
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Pool is irregular shape i estimate about 25k gallons. i might be off though.

Pre-mix chlorine granules in water for feeder

Postby syntax1269 » Wed 09 Mar, 2022 00:23

Hi, don't know if this is a good way to keep some pre-mixed chlorine granules in water and then have the feeder pump that solution into the pool at regular intervals. 5 gallons of pre-mixed dissolved chlorine, and then have that pumped into the pool lets say 10 or 20 oz of the pre-mix go into the pool per day. instead of once a week. Would that be a good alternative to liquid chlorine as the granules are "stabilized" as opposed to the liquid stuff that is not stabilized.
Working on a pool dosing automation project because i don;t think spending $3,000 or more on a commercial chemical dosing setup. For the last few years, i have kept track of how much i put in every week, and the testing results and they are pretty predictable for my pool, if i get 1/2 an inch of rain, i know i need to add in a bit more, when it's been no rain for the week i add in a little less and the test show the balance is pretty spot on. Automating this would be one less thing i would need to do as a 5 gallon of pre-mixed chlorine would last me about a month before i would need to refill it again and make the mixture again. Any help would be apreciated.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pre-mix chlorine granules in water for feeder

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 09 Mar, 2022 07:04

What you're not taking into consideration is the fact that Cyanuric acid / stabilisor (CYA) is not needed to be added above your necessary level for your pool as it isn't used up like chlorine
Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
To reduce your CYA you have to do a partial drain and refill
Continuous use of Trichlor/Dichlor will raise your CYA which means you have to raise your chlorine level as well
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Pre-mix chlorine granules in water for feeder

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 10 Mar, 2022 02:05

As Dennis has intimated your understanding of stabilsed my different. Stabiliser protects chlorine from being degraded by the sun, above 50ppm it becomes a nuisance as it continues to increase and is not lost from the water unless you do a partial drain and refill. Also the chlorine will begin to breakdown albeit slowly once you have diluted the granules in water, the stabiliser wont.
$3000 for a chlorine dosser must be a pretty fancy bit of kit, a basic zodiac and others chlorine doser would be around £500 that comprises of a peristaltic pump and a redox probe to check the redox level and dose accordingly. As you seem to know your dosing quite well you could just buy a peristaltic pump, dishwaser type and a timer.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Chlorine”