Bromine levels

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
turnstyle
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10k gallon indoor commercial

Bromine levels

Postby turnstyle » Mon 21 Mar, 2022 21:31

Hi, new to forum hoping for a little help. I have a 10k indoor hotel pool on bromine. For the past year bromine levels were consistently at about 4 ppm. But for past 6 weeks can't get it over 1-2 ppm. Even after super shocking levels are back down to 1-2 ppm within a couple hours. Have tried 02 shock, ground up bromine tabs, and cal-hypo Shock. Have tried partial drain and fill. TDS are below 1000 and Phosphates are below 500. Alk and pH are relatively stable, Calcium tends to run a little low (hard to get it over 180), and of course no CYA.

Is a full drain and fill my only option? Thanks in advance.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Bromine levels

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 22 Mar, 2022 15:50

I would do a full drain and then switch to chlorine and never go back to bromine, bromine costs more and is potentially worse for our health.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
turnstyle
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10k gallon indoor commercial

Postby turnstyle » Mon 28 Mar, 2022 23:46

I fully drained and filled yesterday. Should make a difference. And we're switching to cal-hypo on auto feeder in 2 weeks. But I only have one week of bromine left and I don't want to buy another bucket. Can I put trichlor or cal-hypo tabs in my skimmers for a week? Thanks again!
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 29 Mar, 2022 07:08

Yes you can but better in a floating dispenser because when the pump is off the strong chemicals will attack any surface in close proximity. BIG POINT! DONT MIX CAL HYPO WITH OTHER CHLORINE SORCES LIKE TRYCHLOR OR DICHLOR, they can explode.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
mknmike
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mknmike » Sat 07 May, 2022 16:15

Teapot1 wrote:I would do a full drain and then switch to chlorine and never go back to bromine, bromine costs more and is potentially worse for our health.

I was buying 5 gallon tall buckets of bromine last year for $245/bucket and just today bought a bucket at the same store, and it was $345. Ouch. I’m going to make this stuff last.

I wonder if the OP’s bromine rod is clogged or one of the valves that’s supposed to be open is clogged. Can that happen?

Return to “Chlorine”