Having problems with high CYA

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Having problems with high CYA

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 19 May, 2022 16:30

Sadly Ron it takes a lot more bleach than 10 litres. I have used 100-150 litres before (not all at once!). So draining is generally cheaper and faster but there are occasions when you cant drain, one of my clients pool emptied into the main street, ok if it was raining could have got away with it maybe but had no option.

I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Shuggie
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: In ground pool, 10m x 5m, 72500 litres, pump: Astral Victoria Plus 38771. Sand filter. Mosaic tiles. Water is from private well.

Postby Shuggie » Fri 20 May, 2022 01:00

RonPace wrote:I am following this thread out of interest as I am sure one day it will happen to me...

But, am I reading this correctly - adding loads of liquid chlorine (bleach) oxides the CYA? I always thought it was impossible to get rid of the stuff except by draining and diluting... this then, to me, implies that if CYA starts creeping up, tell everyone not to use the pool for a while and bung in 10 litres of bleach... yes? no?

In my case I would say no to this idea. Mine has bounced around 67 to 72 through the process.

I am having a bit of a problem getting across the line with the CC. I’ve kept chlorine levels around 28 all week but my CC won’t drop below 1.1 to 1.3.

Any idea what I should do?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 20 May, 2022 01:25

CYA will reduce slowly over time but 10 litres of bleach won't do it
If it was that easy you wouldn't need to drain and refill to dilute
You can safely swim up to shock level of chlorine relative of your CYA
I don't know the science but stabilised chlorine pucks / tabs (Trichlor / Dichlor) have CYA to bind together
RonPace
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uncovered inground 12x6M, Cl and Ph solenoid doser. Glass media filter. South France

Postby RonPace » Fri 20 May, 2022 01:55

OK, I get the idea! But it is good to know the answers.

I am a bit like you Shuggie - my CYA was around 70, but falling back slowly. I was using the sodium tablets until teapot on another thread explained that the calcium ones without stabiliser should be used, mindful of the possible increase of scale. I do not have the same issues with chlorine though, yes I am using more, but with the calcium tabs, my CYA is falling back ever so slowly.

Teapot/Dennis - I understand the difference now of calcium and sodium tablets (and from today the reason for sodium ones having stabiliser...) but you mention above dichlor and trichlor - what are the subtle differences here please, and anything for the layman to be conscious of?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 20 May, 2022 02:10

Di and Tri are the latin bits that explain it. Di has 2 parts chlorine so more CYA. Tri 3 parts chlorine so less CYA to make up the same tablet.
Ron why not just switch to eau de javel from the brico sheds, unless they are too heavy to handle now?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Shuggie
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: In ground pool, 10m x 5m, 72500 litres, pump: Astral Victoria Plus 38771. Sand filter. Mosaic tiles. Water is from private well.

Postby Shuggie » Fri 20 May, 2022 02:32

Shuggie wrote:
RonPace wrote:I am having a bit of a problem getting across the line with the CC. I’ve kept chlorine levels around 28 all week but my CC won’t drop below 1.1 to 1.3.

Any idea what I should do?

Sorry to ask again, but any idea on the above? I want to move on and finish the Slam as it’s been 5 days now and I need to get a grip of PH and TA before I have guest arrive next week. Thanks.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 20 May, 2022 02:46

What's your CYA? You may not be slamming correctly
A CYA of 70 requires 28ppm
Also how often are you testing as SLAM stands for shock level and maintain
Shuggie
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Shuggie » Fri 20 May, 2022 05:11

My CYA is 72 so I’ve kept the FC at mostly +28 it might have dropped below that a couple of times but no lower than 26 before it’s topped back up.

Could this be a problem with my CC not dropping below 1.2 ….……this week pollen from wild olive trees has started to fall from the trees and when netting the pool you can see the pollen collecting in the net. Obviously most of it is going straight through the net and staying in the pool. Could this be the reason my CC is not dropping below 1.2 as the FC chlorine is working on contamination from the pollen? Pump is running 24/7 and has been since Monday evening.

Just taken more readings and I have FC - 30.5, CC - 1.4
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 20 May, 2022 05:40

I don't think the pollen would give you CC
I would be inclined to keep the PPM up as you have it but check during the day so that you are maintaining the same level
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 20 May, 2022 10:37

To clear anything a bit quicker add more chlorine. That may sound strange but the active free chlorine level is not that high because the CYA has such a powerful effect on reducing the effectiveness of the chlorine.
I still think its just the chlorine oxidising anything it can including pollen. Anything that gets oxidised creates chlorine disinfection byproducts or combined chlorine.
Shuggie
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Shuggie » Fri 20 May, 2022 14:58

Nearly there. Just tested and I’m FC - 24.5, TC - 25 so CC - 0.5. I’m going to add another load of chlorine to bring it back to 28, test before I go to bed and then test before sunrise in the morning. Hopefully I’ll be done.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 20 May, 2022 15:53

That sounds good, hope you get a good sleep tonight these issues can cause sleep problems.
Shuggie
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Shuggie » Sat 21 May, 2022 00:25

I’ve made it !!

CC - 0.25

Now I’m going to adjust PH down as it’s running at 8.06.

CYA still high at 72 so I’ll let that erode over the summer and maintain my FC at around 9 ppm dependant on CYA.

One question, should I aim to maintain my CC at below 1? What is an acceptable level for an ongoing basis.

Thanks for all the help through this process, very much needed and appreciated.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Sat 21 May, 2022 02:10

You dont need to adjust the pH down, its high because you still have high chlorine, it will fall a bit as the chlorine level reduces. Also it doesnt matter if it at 8.+ so long as you have good chlorine level, pH7.2-7.8 is another pool myth when you have a pool with CYA in it the chlorine is just as effective. When you have a pool with no CYA i.e. indoor then there is a small difference.
I have a paper somewhere that explains this, I have put the paper on this forum several times before.

I maintain CC at 0-1ppm but it seldom gets to 0.5 during normal operation, just at the start season usually.
Shuggie
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Shuggie » Sat 21 May, 2022 03:41

So if my CC creeps up to over 1 what can I do to reduce it, is it a problem. Hope that’s not a silly question.

Return to “Chlorine”