POOL WATER IS BROWN (THE COLOR OF TEA)

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
HELP ME PLEASE

Postby HELP ME PLEASE » Sat 09 Jun, 2007 15:10

I FILLED MY 16 X 42 EASY SET POOL WITH WELL WATER, WENT TO THE POOL COMPANY HAD MY WATER TESTED THEY SAID NO COOPER, IRON OR MANGANESE IN THE WATER, HERE IS THE TEST RESULTS I GOT SATURATION IDX 0.4, TDS 500, CYA 0, TOT. CHLORINE 0, FREE CHLORINE 0, PH 8.3, TOT. ALKALINITY 179, ADJ. TOT. ALK 179, TOT. HARDNESS 66, COPPER 0, IRON 0, MANGANESE NONE, NO ALGAE, THE LADY AT THE POOL STORE TOLD ME TO ADD 1 POUND OF LO 'N SLO, 1 POUND OF STABILZER 100, ADD 1.75 POUNDS OF BALANCE PAK 300 BECAUSE MY TOTAL HARDNESS IS LOW., ADD 1 BAG OF BURN OUT EXTREME (SHOCK), AND PUT 2 (3") TABLETS IN MY FLOATER, DONE ALL OF THIS AND MY RESULTS ARE AWFUL MY WATER LOOKS LIKE TEA I AM RUNNING MY PUMP (PUMPS 1500 GPH) 24/7 AND THE FILTER LOOKS LIKE A RUSTY BROWN WHEN I CLEAN IT EVERY HOUR OR SO. PLEASE HELP ME I WANT TO HAVE NICE POOL WATER LIKE EVERYONE ELSE :!:
THANKS MARY P. FROM NC

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sat 09 Jun, 2007 16:22

Hard to imagine that you are filling with well water and don't have some metal reading in your pool. Brown is usally a sign of high iron.

I'd get it tested again.

In the meantime - liquid chlorine should be added to get your chlorine level up to shock level - at least 15 ppm and keep it that way by adding more chlorine throughout the day.

You need to get your pH and alk down. Use muriatic acid.

I don't know what your pool volume is in order to tell you how much to add.

You do need CYA/stabilizer, as well, to bring it up to 30.
HELP ME PLEASE

Postby HELP ME PLEASE » Sat 09 Jun, 2007 17:19

MY POOL VOLUME IS 3754 GALLONS OF WATER I HAD MY WATER TESTED AT ANOTHER POOL PLACE AND SHE SAID NO METALS IN THE WATER. SHOULD I DRAIN AND REFILL? OR JUST KEEP ON FILTERING OUT THE BROWN STUFF?
PLEASE HELP ME

POOL WATER BROWN (THE COLOR OF TEA)

Postby PLEASE HELP ME » Sat 09 Jun, 2007 17:21

I FORGOT TO TELL YOU WHEN I HAD MY WATER TESTED THE 2ND TIME SHE SAID ALL MY LEVELS (PH & ALK & CYA) WAS PERFECT. WHAT COULD THE PROBLEM BE? ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: POOL WATER IS BROWN (THE COLOR OF TEA)

Postby Backglass » Sun 10 Jun, 2007 08:39

HELP ME PLEASE wrote:MY POOL VOLUME IS 3754 GALLONS OF WATER I HAD MY WATER TESTED AT ANOTHER POOL PLACE AND SHE SAID NO METALS IN THE WATER. SHOULD I DRAIN AND REFILL? OR JUST KEEP ON FILTERING OUT THE BROWN STUFF?

A 16x42 pool would be at least 20,000 gallons depending on depth.

If it went brown once, draining and re-filling wont do anything...it's the same water and will just turn brown again.

What was the pool stores answer for the brown water?
F 'N well water

needed clean pool

Postby F 'N well water » Wed 13 Jun, 2007 21:23

I am having the same problem with the same pool 2 trips to 2 pool stores and chemicals they recomend and keep selling me are not working....
I need help... Or should I give up and drain and just have the water :? delivered.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: needed clean pool

Postby Backglass » Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:57

F 'N well water wrote:I am having the same problem with the same pool 2 trips to 2 pool stores and chemicals they recomend and keep selling me are not working....
I need help... Or should I give up and drain and just have the water :? delivered.

You should start a new topic to avoid confusion. ;)

brown pool water

Postby Guest » Tue 16 Sep, 2008 22:45

I have the same problems with my pool. Well water and clorine do not mix well. In order to remove the metals from the well water, You need to add stain remover and metal free. My pool is 30,000 gallons. I had to add two containers of each. Everytime i add more water i add in the metal free. When you add the chemicals in, the metals sink to the bottom. They can be filtered out.
rebeltown

Postby rebeltown » Wed 06 Jul, 2011 10:15

I also have a tea brown pool. I started with well water that was pretested 2X and found to have no iron, copper, etc. I added 1 gallon of pool conditioner (chlorine stabilizer) and one packet of chlorine shock and my pool turned tea colored brown... Water is clear but brown colored, no residue on bottom but it ia beginning to stain the vinyl liner. I've been told to added ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and a product called metal free... Even though tests show no metal is present.
ravenwind69

Postby ravenwind69 » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 00:35

Same with my pool. I even drained it then refilled it. I read the trouble shooting guide at My local Walmart store and It said for tea brown water use the metal and stain remover. It was worth the risk since all my testing said everything is fine. I have a 18 foot pop up 5,000 something gallons. I put it in at 5PM and now it 10:30 PM. What a difference already !!!!! We keep spraying out the filter and rinsing it out. Its practically black in the filter! But the metal stuff is working!!!!! Kinda makes me wonder what we are drinking. Anyways, good luck!
jemsriki
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: mm

Postby jemsriki » Fri 19 Aug, 2011 03:37

Ok, don't worry there is the products of ours which is more capable to remove your depressions.If you want to buy our product,So please contact with us..............
stan-hellroad

Postby stan-hellroad » Tue 10 Jul, 2012 19:34

:thumbup: my pool was also brown, for 15 yrs used well water, never a problem...this year 1st time ever had alge bloom, used algecide & later shock & choclate milk brown....24 x 4 pool , 2 weeks later and $175 pool chemicals & dozens of water samples to the pool store,,,,I was ready do dump the pool...I found on the net a lady that had the same problem,,,tghey made a homemade filter using the fibre from the inside of a house pillow,.......I made one and it works....when i saw the inside of the filter after 12 hrs,the brown / orange gunk was getting filtered out ,every 4-6 hours i would take the filters out of the pool & rinsetill clear,,, i made another one,and after 2 days, my pool was green, 2 more days, my pool was clear 1more day pool was perfectly clear..........i used a sump pump hose into a 3 gallon plastic bucketfilled with pilow fluff,and put small holes on the bottom for the water to come out, the other one i put a conector on the return water jet into the pool with a 2 ft hose into a hole i cut in a pilow,and put a hose clamp over it...total 5-6 days later my pool clear,no chemicals,only kept chlorine tabs in my floater
stan-hellroad

Postby stan-hellroad » Tue 10 Jul, 2012 19:37

stan-hellroad wrote::thumbup: my pool was also brown, for 15 yrs used well water, never a problem...this year 1st time ever had alge bloom, used algecide & later shock & choclate milk brown....24 x 4 pool , 2 weeks later and $175 pool chemicals & dozens of water samples to the pool store,,,,I was ready do dump the pool...I found on the net a lady that had the same problem,,,tghey made a homemade filter using the fibre from the inside of a house pillow,.......I made one and it works....when i saw the inside of the filter after 12 hrs,the brown / orange gunk was getting filtered out ,every 4-6 hours i would take the filters out of the pool & rinsetill clear,,, i made another one,and after 2 days, my pool was green, 2 more days, my pool was clear 1more day pool was perfectly clear..........i used a sump pump hose into a 3 gallon plastic bucketfilled with pilow fluff,and put small holes on the bottom for the water to come out, the other one i put a conector on the return water jet into the pool with a 2 ft hose into a hole i cut in a pilow,and put a hose clamp over it...total 5-6 days later my pool clear,no chemicals,only kept chlorine tabs in my floater
vincent jay

Postby vincent jay » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 04:06

hi guys/girls my pool is 25'x15' with 4 to 10 feet deep. it became brown after i refill it wit deep well water can u guys help me? and also i have no clue how many gallons of water in my swimming pool .please help me ^^
vincent jay

Postby vincent jay » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 04:08

hi guys/girls my pool is 25'x15' with 4 to 10 feet deep. it became brown after i refill it wit deep well water can u guys help me? and also i have no clue how many gallons of water in my swimming pool .please help me ^^

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”