Need help to end the metal stain cycle

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: 28' x 10' indoor, liner, oil heater, sand filter.

Re: Need help to end the metal stain cycle

Postby Phil.c » Tue 14 Jan, 2020 11:07

Just make sure that the Pollyfill is just below the water line so you can see the water moving, so there's circulation.

shack42
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 6500 gallon in-ground fiberglass pool
Hayward pump and cartridge filter
SmartPure Sanitizer

Postby shack42 » Sun 19 Jan, 2020 08:48

Just a quick update -- I had developed a pretty bad green algae problem so I've been trying to mitigate that (using SLAM method) before tackling the iron stains again. I'm hoping i'll pass the overnight FC loss test tonight so I can start the AA treatment soon as the FC levels drop down.

thanks,
Chris
shack42
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
SmartPure Sanitizer

Postby shack42 » Tue 21 Jan, 2020 08:39

Did the AA treatment and full dose of sequestrant yesterday. I've replaced the polyfill in the skimmer every eight hours and there's a Ultra CuLater in the filter basket.

The pool water is gorgeous, but I've been here before. We'll see what happens when I start bringing the chlorine up.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Tue 21 Jan, 2020 14:35

Every eight hours and for how many days?

Why did you use sequestrant as you are filtering out the metal anyway?
shack42
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
SmartPure Sanitizer

Postby shack42 » Sat 25 Jan, 2020 11:53

It's been about a week and the stains are back. Maybe they're a little lighter, but who knows.

I got a bottle of ProTeam MetalMagic and I'm trying that option now. I read others had success with it at TFP and I haven't tried that yet, so we'll see.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Sun 26 Jan, 2020 10:25

Well, I waited nearly two months, that's when my liner split, but no signs of any stains at all?
shack42
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
SmartPure Sanitizer

Postby shack42 » Tue 02 Jun, 2020 09:04

Closing the loop on this one.

None of the suggested or gypsy techniques I tried worked and the iron stains kept reoccurring after treatments. About two months ago, my salt cell died and I replaced it with a new one. The old Hayward T-CELL-5 had a 2013 manufacture date (so seven years old).

After installing the new salt cell, the chlorine levels were pretty high (about 16 FC). I took that as a sign the old cell wasn't really doing much at all. However, the iron staining wasn't getting any worse. I adjusted the output % and did another AA treatment and the stains have not returned.

Only thing I can conclude from this is the old cell was the source of the metal that was staining the pool. Once the old cell was removed, the metal source was also removed. I don't have any other way to explain the results.

thanks for all the feedback and suggestions from this group.
Ona18661
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18' x 52" round above ground pool. Tidal waves 1 hp pump with Sand Man filter.

Postby Ona18661 » Fri 04 Jun, 2021 14:49

I have been battling with trying to remove the metals from my pool water. Yesterday after using Metal Free and a CuLator it lost all of the brown coloring. I added pool shock and over night it turned into a mud puddle! Ugh! I made a filter with poly fill and hooked it to a submersible pump about 8 hours ago but I dont see any improvements! Any suggestions on what I should try next? I'm really at a loss
kuinn171
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10,000 Fiberglass, cartridge filter

Postby kuinn171 » Tue 06 Jun, 2023 18:26

shack42 wrote:Closing the loop on this one.

None of the suggested or gypsy techniques I tried worked and the iron stains kept reoccurring after treatments. About two months ago, my salt cell died and I replaced it with a new one. The old Hayward T-CELL-5 had a 2013 manufacture date (so seven years old).

After installing the new salt cell, the chlorine levels were pretty high (about 16 FC). I took that as a sign the old cell wasn't really doing much at all. However, the iron staining wasn't getting any worse. I adjusted the output % and did another AA treatment and the stains have not returned.

Only thing I can conclude from this is the old cell was the source of the metal that was staining the pool. Once the old cell was removed, the metal source was also removed. I don't have any other way to explain the results.

thanks for all the feedback and suggestions from this group.

Did changing the salt cell work long term? I have the exact same issue as you have described.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 07 Jun, 2023 05:56

Only if that was the source of the copper, yours sounds more like iron but I could be wrong. One of the plates would attract metals but if it reverses polarity it would then release the metal into the water. Please stick to one thread to make it easier to follow.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”