Mysterious Stain on Gunite surface

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Dhughes214
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20k Gallon Gunite, Pentair Clean and Clear plus, with Dolphin Nautilus CC Premier robot.

Mysterious Stain on Gunite surface

Postby Dhughes214 » Tue 12 May, 2020 11:12

Hi everybody. This is my first post so i'll give some quick background info. Never owned a pool before a year and a half ago. Never wanted to. We lost our house in the campfire in Paradise, CA. We were renting in a nearby town, waiting for our house to be built, and the rental had a large pool. We, and our kids, fell in love with it. We quickly decided oir new house must have a pool. Fast forward almost 2 years, and here we are, with a 20k gallon gunite pool. We love it. I, with the help of google, have been managing my pool chemistry. Im a noob, but not an idiot. Im using the Taylor 2006 kit. Here are my levels as of yesterday:
Chlorine: 1.5ppm
PH 7.0
Alkalinity 200
CYA 60
Calcium 380

Now, ive just fixed a very high ph and alkalinity issue i was having. Had a heck of a time finding ph down or muriatic acid with the covid thing. Ive finally got that under control. (Air pump is running right now to bring the ph back up a little) calcium also a little high. I have hard water here. Now that my softener is set up i will probably drain some water and refill with softened water.

Okay, if youre still with me, heres my issue. Over the last month ive had a light brown stain developing in the deep end (8ft) of my pool. It kind of runs down the decline to the deep end, and is the worst near the drain. It has been slowly spreading up into the shallow end though. I tried muriatic acid applied directly to the stain throough one of those applicators you put on your pole, and it did nothing. I tried Jacks Magic ID kit, but none of them worked (it was very cold when i tried the id kit, and because od the depth im not sure how directly it wqs applied to the stain). Do you guys have any idea of what im dealing with? Oh, and i shocked the sh** out of the pool and it didnt help. Thanks in advance.

Dhughes214
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20k Gallon Gunite, Pentair Clean and Clear plus, with Dolphin Nautilus CC Premier robot.

Re: Mysterious Stain on Gunite surface

Postby Dhughes214 » Tue 12 May, 2020 22:14

Update: Tried ascorbic acid through a pipe to the stain. Nothing.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”