Manganese in pool water

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
abimark

Manganese in pool water

Postby abimark » Sun 01 Jul, 2007 17:35

I installed a new fiberglass pool, 11,600 gallon and filled it with filtered well water. Manganese levels are off the charts at 2.9 PPM (I believe 0.05 is recommended). I have a Pentair four cartridge filter.

Can anyone tell me how to deal with the high manganese?

Over the last three days I have dumped in 64 oz of Super Sequa-cel for metal control. Am I on the right track?

Do I need to clean out the filters so this stuff won't re-enter the pool?

Thanks

Mark

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 17:07

Hi

Manganese usually creates a purple colouration to the water or a black coloured stain, should it precipitate.

Metal removal products are probably your best bet. I like to add clarifier as well just to be sure.

Depending on the formulation of the product you are using the test result for the Manganese may not alter, although molecular structure may have been altered.

Keep following advice on the product you are using and unless you have a problem you should not need any thing else.

HTH
abimark1

Manganese in water

Postby abimark1 » Thu 05 Jul, 2007 21:38

Thank you for the reply.

At this point I have added four doses of Metal Free, to the original two bottles of Super Sequa Sol. I am manually washing my filter cartridges daily. I dumped a bottle of a product called Stain Magic in the water on Monday night. Tuesday morning the water was crystal clear.

My problem is I have not added any chlorine shock to the pool, free chlorine tests at about zero. My chemical feeder is set very low.

When I draw a five gallon bucket of water from the pool and add a teaspoon of shock, the water turns tea colored immediately. I have been told this is the metal in the water instantly rusting.

My questions:

Do I just shock it, let the water turn brown and rust and run filter until it's clean?
Should I forget the shock treatment and just run the chemical feeder?
Can the manganese ever be filtered out of the water or just manage it to prevent stains?
Should I scrap the brand new cartridge filter and get a sand or DE filter for better filtering capability?

I know that's a lot of questions, but it seems none of the pool experts around here know about manganese because it's not in our city water.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mark

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”