or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
noelr
I'm new here
I'm new here

fibreglass pool brown staining on bottom

Postby noelr » Mon 11 Feb, 2008 10:28

Hello out there,
I am completely new to swimming pool maintenance so please bear with me if i am going over old issues.

I do not have a pool myself, but have a freind who has a fibreglass pool of about 35000 to 40000 gals. the pool was installed by her builder about three years ago and was left unfilled for around six to eight months, during this time the pool bottom became soiled with rainwater and and deposits. After complaining for months, her builder finally came round and supposedly cleaned the pool before filling it, all seemed well untill about eight months ago when a brown stain began to appear at the deep end and continued to move up along the bottem sides of the pool.
We have asked local pool shops for advice but todate have not had much luck , we were told to drop the ph to below 7.2 over the winter months
and see what happens, we did and nothing has happened. we were also told not to use clohrine in a fibre glass pool but ti bromine instead.
We are using a chemical test kit which just gives us clohrine and ph levels, just a basic test kit as this is all we have been able to find.

The pool is located in the Alicante area of Spain.

Can anybody please help ??

Best Regards,,,, noelr.

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Mon 11 Feb, 2008 14:04

do not have a pool myself, but have a freind who has a fibreglass pool of about 35000 to 40000 gals. the pool was installed by her builder about three years ago and was left unfilled for around six to eight months, during this time the pool bottom became soiled with rainwater and and deposits. After complaining for months, her builder finally came round and supposedly cleaned the pool before filling it, all seemed well untill about eight months ago when a brown stain began to appear at the deep end and continued to move up along the bottem sides of the pool.
We have asked local pool shops for advice but todate have not had much luck , we were told to drop the ph to below 7.2 over the winter months
and see what happens, we did and nothing has happened. we were also told not to use clohrine in a fibre glass pool but ti bromine instead.
We are using a chemical test kit which just gives us clohrine and ph levels, just a basic test kit as this is all we have been able to find.

Brown stains in the pool come from iron in the water & normally get there from the fill water.

using asequester agent which is a chemical that combines with metal ions to help keep them in solution and prevent them from falling on the pool’s surface and leaving a stain should help you get rid of stains.

I suggest getting your pool water & fill water both tested for metals & see where your at. Sequestering agents are not cheap & need to keep being used as they only last in water so long. So if there is a big difference between pool water & fill water metal counts refilling pool could help.
Then use sequestering agent as a preventative every few months.
easypools

Fibreglass pool brown staining on bottom

Postby easypools » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 05:27

Hi there,

Have had the same problem in many pools,

The best thing to use is proxide, what you use on your hair to dye it, it should take the staining out,

Pour it down the sides of the pool you will see the staining dissapear to a clump at the bottom of the pool then vacuum to waste, then put the pool back at ph level between 7.0 and 7.2

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”