powerwashing

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
bighands

powerwashing

Postby bighands » Sat 14 Jan, 2006 20:13

I have a 27' round pool with vinyle liner. The problem I have is the liner accumalated scale. I was not able to remove all the scale from the liner before winterizing. What Im thinking is if I drain the pool down to 2' of water I would then use a powerwasher (carefully) to break the scale off the liner. I would then skim the scale and remove as much scale from the pool as I could. I think I can get another 3-4 years out of this liner.Please reply positive or negitive thank you.

Pool Helper

Vinyl liner scale problem

Postby Pool Helper » Sun 15 Jan, 2006 04:41

It sounds reasonable and if done carefully will do the trick.

You may also consider applying muriatic acid to the scale line followed by a good rinse with fresh water. Scrubbing the scale with Scotch Brite dipped in the acid will speed up the disintegration of the scale. This can be dangerous so wear gloves and avoid breathing the fumes.

Scale is most commonly a result of persistently high pH/ Total Alk. In the future, if you keep these levels within the recommended range, the scaling should be less. If your hardness is on the high side you can compensate by keeping the pH at 7.0-7.2.
bighands

Postby bighands » Sun 15 Jan, 2006 18:58

Thank you Pool Helper! I will try powerwashing in the spring and I will post the results. thank you for the opinion.
Pool Helper

Liner scale problem

Postby Pool Helper » Mon 16 Jan, 2006 04:33

I am looking forward to your feedback. Hope things work out well for your pool and good luck. :D
bighands

that time of year

Postby bighands » Thu 27 Apr, 2006 20:16

Pool helper,
Im in michigan so it looks like maybe a week or two and ill try the powerwashing. Talk to you soon!

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”