Opening from heavy winter

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
JakeStone
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 32k kidney pool, no diving board 5.5ft deep end 3ft shallow, apartment outdoor.

Postby JakeStone » Tue 07 May, 2019 15:59

Hi. Hope I am posting in the correct thread.
First got my licences 2 yrs ago - , so last year was my first time (hand held part of it), city loved my pool! yeah!
OK, this year is my first solo. We had a bad winter and when I removed the tarp was suprised to see it full to the skimmers BROWN water - mostly due to where we live. It is an apartment building, outdoor pool Pretty secluded. We rarely if ever get alge, but get lots of dirt and leaves after the winter.

So started with the chlorine. My question should I drain most of this, or let the chems do their job? Last few years(I helped the prev pool guy until I got my licences) its only been filled to the bottom of the deep end, nothing like this. I can see to the bottom, its foggy of course, but my next step is to vacuum and skim the top for the other leaves.

It is hard to get practice when you work with a job only 3 or 4months out of the year. Balancing I got pretty good. But opening and closing I am a little unstable..

Thanks for any suggestions!!

PS
Is it me, or did anyone else develop an aversion to swimming after getting your license?

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Opening from heavy winter

Postby Teapot » Wed 08 May, 2019 01:41

If you can see the bottom then it's savable. Vacuum out as much muck as possible. Then add lots of liquid chlorine and filter 24 hours per day keeping the chlorine level up around 10ppm.
Dennis will pop by later with more advice
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 08 May, 2019 03:34

Hi JakeStone and welcome
Same advice as previous poster
Here is the Slam process, with relation to your Chlorine / CYA Chart and recommended Pool Levels Follow it precisely, SLAM stands for shock level and maintain

You really need a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100) to take regular testings during the day, dip strips and pool store testing aren't good enough but will do as a start (don't let them sell you anything apart from liquid chlorine or plain bleach)
Your pool level should be 1/2 to 2/3 up the skimmer level
Get started as soon as possible even if you don't have the test kit yet
Get some numbers back ASAP and we will help you on your way to a sparkling pool
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
JakeStone
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 32k kidney pool, no diving board 5.5ft deep end 3ft shallow, apartment outdoor.

Postby JakeStone » Wed 08 May, 2019 19:10

sorry for the late reply, I think my first post had to be cleared.

Hi.. thank you.. Pouring rain today.. so in between I'll get some reading... dont use test strips.. But many thanks.

I'll have to get more chems, but what I was able to get
ph 7.8, Alk 110, CYA 30
the water is changing for the better I already have 10 jugs of liquid chlorine. went from brown to a dark turquoise.

I'll have chem info later in the week. right now going to start some heavy cleaning. That should improve.

any other advise is greatly appreciated. Boss paid for the licences, Want to make sure he feels his money was well spent. (book smart aced it, but don't deal with pools other than 3 or 4 months out of the year - so not much for "sinking in" no pun)
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 09 May, 2019 02:43

Great to hear it's improving, brush and backwash your filter often but remember to keep your pool level up
With a CYA of 30 you need a shock level of 10
What I copied and posted previously didn't copy the links, so heres again
Here is the Slam process with relation to your Chlorine / CYA Chart and recommended Pool Levels
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 09 May, 2019 06:37

Your CYA level may not be that accurate when the water is that dirty as CYA is often a turbidity test.
Glad to hear it's improving, just keep the chlorine level up as Dennis described and you'll be fine in a few days
Nancystomy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Nancystomy » Sun 08 Dec, 2019 21:32

Major winter storm today to bring 4-18 inches to IA/E MN/NW WI today and heavy rain/floods to the lower Great Lakes. Please guys send some wintery photos or anyone dealing with heavy rain/floods some pictures and keep us updated with observations

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”