Is this water level safe?

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
amajidi
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Is this water level safe?

Postby amajidi » Mon 09 Mar, 2020 08:17

Hi all. I closed my pool last fall and dropped the level below the return lines after blowing out all the lines. I am taking the water off of the pool cover and plan to remove the leaves. My friend recommended that I put water back in to prevent caving of the liner. Should I put water back in? How much? Can I add free water without chemicals. I plan on opening in May as I live in New England. Temps have been 30s to 60s lately. I have a picture below. Thanks. I appreciate the help. [img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200309/feab45e6caadad54a136bceab6f97077.jpg[/img]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Is this water level safe?

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 09 Mar, 2020 17:41

Good grief it's almost empty, you will be lucky if your liner hasn't moved
I would fill it immediately cleaning out any debris first and then cover it again untill you are ready to open
I doubt that you have any chemical left
If there isn't any chance of freezing I would be inclined to add chlorine to prevent algae forming and further delay opening

You can add images direct into your post
Click Full Editor & Preview
Click Attachments
Click Add Files or you can drag and drop
amajidi
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby amajidi » Mon 09 Mar, 2020 19:30

I tried to remove as much of the leaves as I could by myself . Adding water as we speak. I'll try to get a friend to help me remove the cover and will clean the debris from the pool. How much chlorine would you add? It won't circulate as my pump is winterized at the moment. Thanks for you help.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 10 Mar, 2020 08:04

The amount of chlorine is dependant of your CYA and pool volume but for a start try for 3 PPM just to keep the algae at bay

Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm

Slam (Shock Level and Maintain)
Chlorine / CYA Chart
Recommended Pool Levels
Pool Maths

Try and get an idea of your water when you have filled it
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:

You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100) to get accurate results as maintaining an appropiate shock level means testing quite often during the day

Lots to get on with

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”