Leaking pool and winterizing

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
poolnewby
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Fiberclass chlorine pool 10m x 4m sand filter with chlorine doser

Leaking pool and winterizing

Postby poolnewby » Mon 20 Apr, 2020 22:02

Hello
Fairly new to pool ownership and had our fair share of problems since owing it 5 months ago.
Our new problem is we have a definite leak in our fiberglass pool. Small bubbles started to appear at the bottom of the pool and have since read they are tiny holes.

Cant afford to fix the pool at the moment and cant run the filter without continuing to fill the pool up to meet the filter basket which is also expensive.

Considering we will not be using the pool now for at least 6 months..... can anyone suggest how to keep the pool from completely going green in the mean time.
Thanks for any help. Jo

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Leaking pool and winterizing

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 21 Apr, 2020 02:44

To stop the pool from going green pour chlorine in it and mix with a submersible
You say small bubbles appearing, that would be pin holes in the gel coat and not a leak in the shell
The pool can be used OK
How new is this fibreglass pool because there should be a manufacture guarantee
Lastly be aware that the pool can float when emptied out as I learnt to my cost unless there is a hydrostatic valve fitted in the main drain if you have one
poolnewby
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby poolnewby » Tue 21 Apr, 2020 04:51

Thanks for your reply. No idea how old the pool is, never asked at the time of house purchase.

The pools looses about 4 inches of water in about 2 days. I've stopped topping up to see how much more under the filter box it will fall in the next couple of days.

I can hand add some liquid chlorine into the pool daily but would it be easier to buy one of the floating chlorine dispensers?
Sorry what does " mix with a submersible" mean.

Appreciate the help. Jo
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 21 Apr, 2020 07:29

If it loses about 2" a day then I would suspect a piping issue. Let it fall to below the inlet and outlet and see if it stops
The floating dispensers don't mix very well
When I said "mix with a submersible" I meant get a submersible pump and use it to mix the water
poolnewby
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby poolnewby » Thu 23 Apr, 2020 21:53

Hi after a few days of not topping up the pool. It certainly has stopped dropping. It is just below the filter box now and hasn't gone down for the last 4 days. Would this be a problem with the pump/filter system?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 02:52

If your returns are lower than the skimmer, which is normal then I would suspect either the skimmer or the pipe to the pump
Get an expandable rubber bung and block the pipe from the skimmer. Top up (not fully) and see if it goes down
If it doesn't it's the pipe, if it does it's the skimmer (probably the joint to the pool)

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”