Couldn't pump water off of winter cover?

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
junkmail9999
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby junkmail9999 » Thu 27 May, 2010 08:29

Sorry if this is all dumb, but this is my first time opening my new pool in the spring...I got it late last fall.

I have a solid pool cover, not mesh. My pool pillow did deflate during the winter, and the cover had quite a bit of water on it. I thought I might be able to fill my pool at the same time that I was draining the cover, by sliding a hose under the cover and draining the top at the same time with a pump. After quite a few hours, I noticed that the water level was not really changing. I know that this may have been a knucklehead thing to do, but I thought that solid pool covers were supposed to be drainable.

I then stopped filling the pool and decided to pump the pool cover off only, which seemed to be dropping the water level in the actual pool below where it was when I closed the pool, but not really getting any water off of the top of the cover...It kept about 8-12 inches of water on it the whole time. I finally came to the conclusion that the cover must have been leaking the whole time.

When I did finally dump the whole mess in the pool and take the cover off, I didn't notice any large holes, just some weaker spots here and there in the cover where some light could get through slightly. Any ideas of what actually was happening? It appears that I was draining the pool with the cover pump at the same time that I was filling it, as if it were a mesh cover. Shouldn't I be able to drain and fill at the same time, or at least get most of the water off of the cover? Would this happen if the cover was leaky (it was the cover's first season)? Could the deflated pool pillow have anything to do with it?

Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Thu 27 May, 2010 09:04

Sounds like your pool cover is taking in water. Are you sure your pool cover did not come with any drain panels? Check it out...perhaps thats the issue
junkmail9999
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby junkmail9999 » Thu 27 May, 2010 09:32

No, it was just a 'solid' tarp like pool cover
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Thu 27 May, 2010 09:53

I understand but some solid covers have two drain panels. Thats why I was asking. If not, there must be a tear somewhere. There would be no other reason for you to not be able to remove the water on a solid cover
LEVI

Postby LEVI » Mon 09 May, 2011 15:07

I have had an above ground pool 24x52 for 10 yrs. Several different kinds of covers ; all solid. Like you i pump or sifel the water off the cover ; drives me crazy it always takes 12 to 18 in. Of my pool water out. I live in the co. Have my own well cant use well water.. If you find out any more on this subject i would love to know................
MI POOL

Postby MI POOL » Thu 02 Jun, 2011 08:40

I am having the same problem.
The pool pillow deflated, the water level looked lower than normal, but there was lots of water on tarp.
Started draining tarp, (thinking its a solid tarp), now the water level is down about 12"... I too decided to fill pool while draining tarp...

Are we really draining the pool not the tarp?
BikerBob

Postby BikerBob » Sun 07 Apr, 2013 11:33

I currently have the same problem. No drainage panels. I may have some small holes from Hurricane Sandy. I had the same problem last year too. But I had a more powerful pump that sucked more water than leaked through the cover. This year I only have a small pump and its barely pumping faster than the leaking cover. In my opinion these covers are inadequate, poorly designed and manufactured. I had a plain old tarp with water bag anchors that didn't get any holes in it for a decade. Like everything else nowadays; top dollar for mediocre products.
Blair

Postby Blair » Thu 02 May, 2013 08:15

Check your valve on the input side from where the water flows from the filter to pool when connected. Last year I left mine open and I believe that when water snow and ice accumulated on the cover the pressure forced the pool water below the cover out thru that open line/valve. This results in lower pool water levels and much more accumulation on the cover. This year I kept that valve closed and there is minimal water and pressure on the cover as the water level under the cover remained the same all winter.

Good luck!
gerbilchunks

Postby gerbilchunks » Sat 21 Sep, 2013 15:30

Some plastic tarps have seams that are SEWN together rather than heat sealed (such as HPI tarps which happen to be American made and expensive). Water will pass through sewn seams- the manufacturer even states that in their instructions. That means that dirty water that collects on top of the tarp can pass through into your pool water. Personally, I'd rather buy the cheaply made Chinese tarps that have heat sealed seams and are water-tight. When I remove the tarp in the Spring, the pool water has stayed clean.
ekim1949

Postby ekim1949 » Wed 24 Sep, 2014 08:36

I have a small pin hole leak in my cover. Theres always water on that spot,should I change the cover while its still fall?
Natkarbo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24 foot round above the ground.

Re: Couldn't pump water off of winter cover?

Postby Natkarbo » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 15:05

I am having the same problem. Could it be the cover is allowing water from the pool on top of the cover? Never had this problem before. Let me know what anyone finds out. Also should I add more water to the pool before winter? It is down about 12 inches now from trying to drain the cover.
Zielot11
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground 28 ft round

Postby Zielot11 » Fri 01 Nov, 2019 09:57

I am glad to see i am not the only one experiencing this issue but it is super frustrating. What doesnt make sense to me is IF I have a hole in my pool cover, then wouldnt there be dirty water in the pool itself? How would the water "pool" on top of the tarp if there is a hole in it. wouldnt it just drain all that water into the pool and make the pool water dirty? Has anyone found a solution for this? i read something that said that you can use an upside down frisbee, but there was no further info on how that works. please help.
BeerGuyBri
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36 above ground pool

Postby BeerGuyBri » Sat 16 May, 2020 19:18

I am having the same issue. Water inside pool is clear. Water on cover is dirty. But when I use my pool cover pump to remove water. It is draining the pool water and the level is dropping. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can drain the water off cover without emptying pool. I am sadly at point to just dump cover in. Ugh. Thanks

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”