reverse polarity no longer functioning

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
Achitophel
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 45,000 approx, inground, fibreglass, salt water chlorinator Waterco sand filter, medium sized pump.

reverse polarity no longer functioning

Postby Achitophel » Wed 28 Oct, 2020 02:47

Over the last 25 years I've been through 4 or 5 saltwater chlorinators, each one a different and supposedly better one than the last. The latest technology hasn't always been an improvement - eg an LCD panel with multiple settings via a variety of buttons - brilliant in theory - near impossible to read in daylight!
But 4 years into the life of the latest (from an 'award winning' manufacturer since gone bust), the reverse polarity no longer works and a build up of calcium on the electrodes is happening.
Chlorine is still being generated and the cell is manually cleanable fairly easily.
But I would prefer it to reverse polarity and self clean automatically.

My question is simply this:
Is this a DIY proposition and if so how?
Other pool owners have told me that seeking advice from a pool shop invariably is that the cell or the main unit or both is irreparably unserviceable and that a complete new unit and cell, preferably to be fitted by the shop, is needed.
Does anyone know just what is involved. Is it a faulty cell (albeit one that is generating more than sufficent chlorine) or the unit.
Is there a fix, eg a self contained pre-set polarity changer on the market that can be fitted into the circuit somewhere or some other way of restoring the auto polarity changeover?

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”