ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
cdawley4
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Coleman 24’ round, Intex type B filter pump, Intex 8110 Salt Generator

Another Intex 8110 Owner here

Postby cdawley4 » Sun 14 Mar, 2021 12:51

Hello,

I have been reading about the intex 8110 Salt Generator and all of its problems from people on this forum. Based on what I saw, some of the topics date back to 2006. Rather than resurrect a very old topic, I decided to post my own problem, while continuing to read about everyone’s problems to see if it applies to my unit.

To give you a little background, we have had our unit for 3 years. First year, as a beginner, the salt level was registering high but local pool store checked it and it was within range. I called Intex and they asked me to clean my salt cell with vinegar and water. I did that and it was still reading high. They sent me out a new salt cell.

The second year, everything was perfect. No issues.

Last year, it was always reading low salt. What is weird about that scenario is my salt cell was always caked up with hardened calcuim deposits. I know it was calcuim, as I took the salt generator out, rinsed it off, and with the caked on calcium, I tasted it. It really didn’t have any flavor. I was suspecting that if it were caked on salt, I would have tasted similar to ocean water.

My local pool store suggested I clean it with muriatic acid and water. Did that and put my old cell in the system, since it was already clean. About a week later, caked up with calcium again.

At that point, I was cleaning my salt cell every week and still getting low salt alarm.

I would like to try to repair it, if possible. I am logically and electrically inclined. It’s what I studied in college.

To anyone’s knowledge from previous experiences, has anyone ever experienced this and know what I can try?

I already tried reversing the polarity, suggested on another topic. It ran for a week and got caked up with calcium. Flip the contact back to normal, about 5 minutes later, low salt alarm.

I read about a faulty transformer and also adjusting a potentiometer. I haven’t made it quite that far with the pump yet. Thinking about digging into it to figure it out and test with a meter.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Re: Another Intex 8110 Owner here

Postby dynamictiger » Sun 14 Mar, 2021 23:08

I havent read the issues with this specific salt chlorinator. However I have had a lot of experience with salt water pools.

First question before going any further is what is the CH level in the pool and what is the CH level in the incoming water used to top the pool up?

Then follow ups, is any manual addition of chemical made to the pool? Do any of these contain calcium?

What is the pool surface, and how old is the pool?
cdawley4
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby cdawley4 » Sun 14 Mar, 2021 23:43

Currently, I am cleaning the pool, as we drained the pool and put all the filter pumps in a bin for temporary storage. When I connect the pumps back up and add water and salt, we usually let the main filter pump cycle for 24 hours before turning on the swg. Once I get bags of salt in pool, I will post a reply. It may be a little bit, as it is still cool down in GA.
cdawley4
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby cdawley4 » Wed 17 Mar, 2021 08:54

I’ve been thinking about my swg and the problems it had last year. The first two years, I used Clorox salt in the pool. Last year, I bought salt from my local pool store. I had been having them test the water for me and buying shock and other pool chemicals from them, so thought why not buy the salt from them since they are testing my water as a convenience.

The type of salt they sell is called AquaSalt, which is a food grade salt.

I’m curious if the AquaSalt has some other ingredient that my swg doesn’t like. I always thought Salt is Salt.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 17 Mar, 2021 09:31

Aquasalt is 99% pure salt
Table salt has an anti caking agent in it to keep it free flowing
I would say your salt is OK
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Fri 19 Mar, 2021 16:13

cdawley4 wrote:I’ve been thinking about my swg and the problems it had last year. The first two years, I used Clorox salt in the pool. Last year, I bought salt from my local pool store. I had been having them test the water for me and buying shock and other pool chemicals from them, so thought why not buy the salt from them since they are testing my water as a convenience.

The type of salt they sell is called AquaSalt, which is a food grade salt.

I’m curious if the AquaSalt has some other ingredient that my swg doesn’t like. I always thought Salt is Salt.

First question before going any further is what is the CH level in the pool and what is the CH level in the incoming water used to top the pool up?

Then follow ups, is any manual addition of (shock) chemical made to the pool? Do any of these contain calcium?
cdawley4
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby cdawley4 » Thu 13 May, 2021 05:00

I am getting ready to fill the pool and add salt. If my current Intex 8110 swg isn’t working, could I go to Intex site and order their swg control panel, model 12659EG and swap my existing parts over to it? The picture shows it would be the module with the base to attach the water tube too. My concern is if I order and it doesn’t come with the base.
cdawley4
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby cdawley4 » Thu 13 May, 2021 05:31

Also, is there a way to test the ECO and Titanium Cell?
cdawley4
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby cdawley4 » Thu 07 Jul, 2022 14:27

More issues with 8110 SWG. Now, it won’t generate chlorine no matter the polarity of the connector on the titanium plates. I also took cover off and didn’t see any corrosion on the left side, bottom screws.

I’ve read about people rewiring the connector, however, I’m skeptical about doing that, due to the amount of power outages we get. I don’t want to burn up my swg or worse, blow a hole in my pool due to hydrogen build up.

I’m thinking about buying a new control unit from Intex and moving my components over. I believe the control unit is $208 and it seems all the components can be moved over to new unit.

Before I do that, wound there be anything beneficial that I could try to get the swg working?

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”