Used Clarifier to remove phosphates-pool cloudier by the day

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
TomlinPool2019
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Saltwater pool, 27,000 gallons, Hayward salt generator, Polynesian style pool

Used Clarifier to remove phosphates-pool cloudier by the day

Postby TomlinPool2019 » Thu 01 Aug, 2019 19:02

I’m so frustrated. I’m a new pool owner so I trust what pool stores tell me when I have them test my water. I brought water in and it was 1000 for phosphates so they recommended Seaklear Phosphate remover. Used the entire 32 oz bottle and it immediately went cloudy...to be expected. The pump is on a timer and my husband didn’t realize that I had turned the timer off so the pump wouldn’t turn off. So he shut the pump off 6 hours after using the Seaklear. Oops. Anyway, I explained it and the pump has been running nonstop for 48 hours now, but the water is still cloudy as ever...actually cloudier today than yesterday. It’s been 3 days since I used it and we are not getting any clearer.

Tested the water at the store again and it was down to 500, so they recommended more clarifier...no thank you. I told them about it being really cloudy and they said that’s normal, and offered a product that could help the cloudiness. Didn’t work.

What am I doing wrong? Anything else I can do to get rid of the excess clarifier junk? When I vacuum I see the clouding up around the vacuum.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Used Clarifier to remove phosphates-pool cloudier by the day

Postby Teapot » Fri 02 Aug, 2019 01:47

That's normal especially with a whole bottle! Lanthanum salts are the phosphate removers and chitosan is the clarifier. Switch off the system and let it sink to the bottom 24 hours ish then carefully vacuum. How do you vacuum?
If it's manually, scrunch up a cotton toweling cloth in the skimmer basket and that will catch most of it but be prepared to have a second or third towel ready as it can clog those quite quickly. Look out for a reduction in vacuuming to indicate towel is clogged.
You need to move slowly so as not to disturb the stuff on the bottom before you vacuum it.
Your doing great just need a little more.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Used Clarifier to remove phosphates-pool cloudier by the day

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 02 Aug, 2019 02:54

Also vacuuming to waste but you have to be really careful you don't go to low and suck in air

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”