cloudy water

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
RichyRich
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: inground gunite, 20K gallons running chlorine. Pentair Triton II Model T60 sand filter with inline Cholrine 3 inch tablets.

cloudy water

Postby RichyRich » Sat 27 Jun, 2020 11:54

Every time I add shock, my water turns cloudy. I used FLOC, waited 24 plus hours and vacuumed to waste. It does get pretty clear, but as soon as I add any shock, it turns cloudy. I do use Leslies pool products and have for 10 plus years. This year I've been battling this all season long. I live in New Orleans, 22,000 gallons, sand filter. the sand is around 3 years old. Again, all is well till I shock the pool. then it gets cloudy. No green, just cloudy..

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: cloudy water

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 28 Jun, 2020 03:10

Let's have your numbers, not from dip strips
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
The fact you have a puck feeder probably means you have excessive CYA
Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
To reduce your CYA you have to do a partial drain and refill
You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results as maintaining an appropiate shock level means testing quite often during the day
Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”